Why put it there?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

SaraL
    Why is it at the bottom of every application it states they dont care about your sex or race...but yet they still have to ask for it?If you dont care...dont ask...it should not matter!

User Detail :  

Name : SaraL, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 32, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : retail, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

DaneR
    Participant
    Because when they do background checks they need it for specification. There could be two or three John Smiths in one area, right, one is black one is white and one is mexican. One of them is a convict, if the place of business does not hire ex-cons then if you don't have specific information to narrow your search to the exact person applying all three of those men will be refused employment becaue one committed a crime and happened to have the same name. So even though race shouldn't matter it does for the purpose of background checks and such.

User Detail :  

Name : DaneR, Age : 19, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

LaurieS
    Um, wouldn't the SSN, DOB and such take care of that? And how do you know 2 of the John Smiths aren't of the same race? I don't think that's the reason. I wonder if it has more to do with affirmative action.

User Detail :  

Name : LaurieS, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 35, City : Port Saint John, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    We've come up against this, my husband is a somewhat "other" and always checks that box when he bothers at all. In this world where both public and private agencies of all kinds are constantly being accused of racial and gender bias, I'm sure they collect this information in an attempt to prove that they don't discriminate. Whether they do or not we will probably never know. I personally think the US is more classist than racist anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.