Why hurt gay people?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John29316
    Participant
    Why do people still have to act primievally toward gay man and lesbians? Do they deny others' practices because they are covering up their own true feelings? Is it denial? Or is it simply a power move?

User Detail :  

Name : John29316, Gender : M, City : Derby, State : n/ Country : United Kingdom, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    My view here does not derive from direct experience (luckily), but my impression is that those who are aggressive to lesbians and gay men are as a general rule not that comfortable with their own sexuality. In the case of men, there is also the need to affirm masculinity in front of other males and this can result in some aggressive acts. It was not surprising, for instance, to find that the killer of a gay man at a cruising spot in Sydney a couple of years ago had actually previously tried to work as a male prostitute ! Of course there are always some people who are bullies and enjoy the power- lesbians and gay men may present easy targets for them. Also, I often notice that some straight men seem more comfortable with overtly effeminate gays than with masculine gays like myself. Maybe they worry that if I'm masculine like them and I'm gay- then what does that say about their sexuality ? - or perhaps it's a fear that if I'm masculine, I'm sexually dominant and therefore threatening ? Comments on this one would be interesting.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Public servant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Priscilla30254
    Participant
    I have no idea. For some people, it seems like homophobia is a disease.

User Detail :  

Name : Priscilla30254, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nick
    Participant
    Violence against homosexuals is no different from any other hate-motivated act: it is based on fear. What people may not understand moves them to become fearful and violent. It is an age-old problem that seems to curse mankind's history.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick, Gender : M, City : Severson, State : CA Country : United States, 

Hero21315
    Participant
    You already know the answer to this. For some, it's because they hate those who are different, for some, it is religion, for some, it's denial, for some, it's just an excuse to hurt people, for some, it's that they enjoy the power of it, for some, it's out of ignorance. There's a host of reasons, and I expect you could think of a whole lot more than this.

User Detail :  

Name : Hero21315, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : edging towards gay, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Aberdeen, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 
    Hi John, many people have been asking/wondering what God thinks of homosexuality. After all, today it is largely accepted by society. In fact, many who claim to be 'christians' are publicly promoting homosexuality.Or , are themselves practicing homosexuals. So, what does God say about it? If we look up the bible, at the following scriptures, Romans 1:24-27,1 Timothy 1:9-11, Jude 7 & 1 Corinthians 6:9 & 10. All condemn homosexuality.So , it is obvious, God thinks these practices are disgusting , and infact, says they will be judged for such conduct. Peter

User Detail :  

Name : Peter Briant, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 38, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : storeman, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie27800
    Participant
    It is unacceptable to hurt someone because of their sexual orioentation. But what the gay people have to understand is that it is still not completely accepted and if a gay man goes and hits on a straight man, gets turned down and persists the straight man isn't going to take it lightly. To me I'd treat it just like if a straight man hit on me. If a gay woman hit on me and didn't get the point I' be likely to slap her, but not because she's gay, because she persisted uninvitedly. Forgive me I cannot remember his name, the gay man from Larime,WI who was brutely murdered. I am in now way whatsoever excuseing what those other guys did but has anyone thought if he wouldn't have persisted it may never have happend? If someone says no they mean no, not keep trying and maybee I'll change my mind.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie27800, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.