Why does lower class persist w/ bad behaviors?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Maria
    Participant
    Why is it that lower class people continue to make the bad choices that guarantee they will remain lower class? I'm talking about dropping out of school, having babies they can't afford, doing drugs and booze, letting their kids run wild, casually marrying and divorcing. I'm not saying that middle and upper class people don't do stupid things, but they are far more detrimental to lover class people.

User Detail :  

Name : Maria, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I'd say it's probably because a lot less is expected of them. For example, if I wasn't pressured as a child to do well in school, I would have dropped out before I even made it to Secondary. Another part of it is that some lower-class people lose all hope of ever being anything but, and resort to narcotics, alcohol abuse, etc. to feel better about their meager lot in life. Casual marriage/divorce, from what I've seen, is almost exclusively an upper class establishment, so I'm not sure it belongs on a list of lower class behaviours.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

MelissaFalk
    Participant
    It may SEEM less prevalent in the middle and upper classes, but people from lower classes who make poor decisions do so for the same reasons some middle and upper class people make poor decisions: Lack of education, and lack of positive role models/relationships with people who make good decisions. The level of detriment is relative. Missy

User Detail :  

Name : MelissaFalk, Gender : Female, City : Midlothian, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, 

GrahamD.
    Participant
    We emulate a lot of the behavior that we see around us. It manipulates our subconcious in ways that we can not imagine. I suggest you read a book called the Social Aninmal. It goes into a lot more detail about this very question. It is very eye opening. Some other factors that contribute to their behavior: psychologist now say that will power is like a muscle and is exhausted over time. People who are more are more likely to be under stress and people under long term stress make worse and worse choices.

User Detail :  

Name : GrahamD., Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Blind, Race : Alaska Native, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 

GrahamD.
    Participant
    We emulate a lot of the behavior that we see around us. It manipulates our subconcious in ways that we can not imagine. I suggest you read a book called the Social Aninmal. It goes into a lot more detail about this very question. It is very eye opening. Some other factors that contribute to their behavior: psychologist now say that will power is like a muscle and is exhausted over time. People who are more are more likely to be under stress and people under long term stress make worse and worse choices.

User Detail :  

Name : GrahamD., Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Blind, Race : Alaska Native, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.