Why do seated women move their legs up and down?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Buddy
    Participant
    You may be interpreting something into their movements that have nothing to do with sex. They might have hemroids. Lots of people do.

User Detail :  

Name : Buddy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Welder/Machinist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Peter-N
    Participant
    I have noticed over the years that women who are seated with crossed legs frequently rhythmically move their top leg up and down (or alternatively) pivot the foot. Are they just nervous, or is there something, shall we say, more interesting going on?

User Detail :  

Name : Peter-N, Gender : M, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, 

Leah26132
    Participant
    I was doing this unconsciously when I read your post. Crossing one's legs is considered more lady-like than not doing so, when wearing a skirt. Perhaps the leg-sway resulted from this. I really think this is a subconscious habit, and I don't remember being taught to do it or trying to imitate anyone.

User Detail :  

Name : Leah26132, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

me21916
    Participant
    I can only speak for myself, but it is just a physical mannerism, like drumming your fingers or stretching your back. It is not stimulating, other than it keeps your legs and feet from falling asleep.

User Detail :  

Name : me21916, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Chatham, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Nancy
    Participant
    I find it's not for sexual stimulation, but for curculation to lower legs and feet.

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 48, City : Tempe, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : Labtech, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer
    Participant
    I cannot speak for the entire female gender, of course, but I can assure you that when I move my top leg up and down while my legs are crossed, I am most definitely in no way providing myself with sexual stimulation. It's a very interesting idea, though, but I've never heard of any woman doing it for that reason. For me, it's an automatic thing; perhaps nervous energy, since situations requiring polite leg-crossing tend to be important ones (i.e. job interviews, meetings, etc.). Hope that helps some.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Jonesboro, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lindsey22727
    Participant
    I think it's just a way of running off excess energy. I've found that since I stopped training (I was a varsity athlete in hs and college), I've picked up a lot of little habits like that which basically just waste energy. Also, when one is sitting with their legs crossed like that, one leg is just kind of dangling in the air, so it's more natural to be moving it around. I think it doesn't cross over to men because very few men (that I've met anyway) sit with their legs crossed like that. Maybe there are some women who find that it feels good, but I imagine that would have to involve wearing some very tight pants. :)

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsey22727, Religion : Pagan, Age : 25, City : Titusville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lefto
    Well, when you cross one leg over the knee, it restricts the blood flow. Moving the leg up and down can negate this. As for why men *don't* do it... well, usually you won't see a man sitting with one leg crossed over his knee for very long. Typically, men sit with their legs splayed, or else resting at a slight distance from one another. Women, on the other hand, tend to cross their legs, either at the knee or at the ankle, or else press them close together. This goes back to the time when women only wore long dresses. Now it's just a cultural thing. You'll notice that a woman who sits with her legs splayed will typically appear either as 'mannish' or 'slutty-looking,' depending on how attractive she is.

User Detail :  

Name : Lefto, Gender : F, Age : 18, City : Mt Prospect, State : IL Country : United States, 

Myriam-F
    Participant
    I sometimes catch myself moving my leg around when my legs are crossed, and it is more a habit than anything else. I find myself doing it more when I am anxious or tired. It is something that keeps me moving and keeps the blood flowing in my legs so that they don't fall asleep. I don't know about other women but it's never been a sexual stimulant for me.

User Detail :  

Name : Myriam-F, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Katie
    I'm not the scientific reason, but now that you mention it, i do it all the time, I think because I am BORED. I sit in an office all day, and I do it without realizing it.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Wheaton, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa D
    Participant
    I can only speak for myself. It's a nervous habit for me; same as twirling my hair or fidgeting with my fingers.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa D, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Ellie
    Participant
    I do this, and I don't do it for attention! I've always thought of it as a bad habit. It has more to do with being anxious, having a lot on my mind, feeling restless, etc. Usually if I notice that someone has noticed me moving my leg, I try to stop.

User Detail :  

Name : Ellie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Landenberg, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kip26396
    Participant
    'do it' all the time. :-) I was thinking just as you hit your last line 'it does not seem to cross over', that it was a way guys (teens) dealt with all the hormones in thier body. But perhaps, by the way you phrased your question, we could say that both genders do this...'and why'. :-)

User Detail :  

Name : Kip26396, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Boulder, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : what ever pays the bills, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kathleen
    Sexual stimulation? Umm...No. I cross my legs all the time and its mostly an unconscience thing to swing my leg sometimes. I don't think there is a real reason for it, maybe nerves.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathleen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anne23877
    Participant
    It seems like it could be a gesture for nervousness or boredom. Some women can get sexual stimulation from contracting the thigh muscles. Also, women tend to cross their legs 'tighter' than men, which can lead to poor blood circulation. Perhaps this is a way of ensuring blood still gets to the foot?

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23877, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.