Why do black women hate hair-flipping?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Tammy
    Participant
    Why are many black women irritated by white women flipping back their hair?

User Detail :  

Name : Tammy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 39, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : network engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    The word you're looking for is 'racist', but we're not allowed to call black people that, even when they patently are.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David
    Participant
    I didn't know black women hated it when white women did that. I'm a black male and always notice white women constantly rearrange or flip their hair back over their ears or just caress it for some reason. I think it's a nervous habit or an 'I think I'm cute' thing. I have no idea. Women are strange, anyway. Black or white.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Woodbridge, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Nazaree
    Participant
    It's rude. That's why I don't like it. I was taught as a child that it was rude to comb or brush your hair in public. You should excuse yourself to the restroom or somewhere private. Think about the dead skin, dandruff, shedding hair, and who knows what else that flies out of your hair when you toss it. White women do not take this into consideration when they flip their hair in people's faces, over their food, etc. I've been smacked by hair quite often. Another thing I've thought and heard other black women say is that it's a cry for attention. Honestly, my neighbor almost gives herself whiplash tossing her hair when my husband and his friends are around. I guess they're supposed to be captivated; it's supposed to be sexy?

User Detail :  

Name : Nazaree, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 38, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Rachel28762
    Participant
    I've had hair flipped in my face one too many times when riding crowded public transportation. I don't care if they flip till their head falls off, but please be mindful of people behind you.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel28762, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Julie
    Participant
    it may be because they are jealous that they can't flip their hair the way we can and think we are rubbing it in by doing it, their hair is naturally stiffer and coarser so it doesnt 'flip'

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Akron, State : OH Country : United States, 

Mara
    Participant
    my hair is long and finely textured. It is very soft and it feels like silk between my fingers. I touch my hair, or 'carress it' if you like, because it feels nice...not because I think I'm cute.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Leah28814
    Participant
    I do it when someone crowds me when I am standing in line - it really creeps me out to have someone stand so close I can feel their breath.

User Detail :  

Name : Leah28814, Gender : F, City : Bartow, State : FL Country : United States, 

Rachel28867
    Participant
    Oh, I see. Well that further justifies our disgust at having someone else's hair flipped in our face (and you don't have to be black to be grossed out by it!). True, some women are not aware of others standing behind them when they do the hair flip, but to do it intentionally because someone is standing 'too close' is just plain rude, uncouth and a good way to get yourself into an easily avoidable altercation! Once, while standing on line at an amusement park, I blew a huge bubble with my bubble gum just as a white girl did the big flip. Talk about timing! Her (very long) hair snatched the gum straight out of my mouth, and there she was with a big old wad of Bazooka stuck in her hair!

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel28867, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

MichelleW
    Participant
    Have you ever noticed what comes out of your head when you flip your hair? It's disgusting. We don't know if women are flipping out lice or dandruff or what. It's rude and very inconsiderate. I was taught, like many black women, that you don't swing your hair in people's faces. The more appropriate question is why aren't white women taught the same consideration.

User Detail :  

Name : MichelleW, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Program Developer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Fossihundt
    Participant
    I am (mostly) Caucasian. I have very fine, and very straight hair. This type of hair easily finds its way down shirt collars, etc. and it's annoying. I don't flip my hair, because it's way too short, but when it was longer I did it because it slithered down my neck, and I wasn't fond of that. It wasn't a nervous habit, nor did I do it because I thought I was cute (even tho I am-blush). I did it because my hair felt like a ferret crawling down my neck.

User Detail :  

Name : Fossihundt, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Native American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 54, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Science background, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.