Why do White people do this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

PamelaS
    Participant
    It used to be that you could get a smile and a wave from your fellow driver regardles of color, but now it seems that if the person pulling up beside me is white, and they see I'm Black, they purposefully turn their heads away ("eek! a Black"). Especially White guys if they're trying to "check me out", if they see me looking back, it's "oops its a negro" and they accelerate away. Am I trying to read too much into this?. Most days it's fun to play peekaboo, but sometimes it's kinda annoying. Any thoughts?

User Detail :  

Name : PamelaS, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Dot
    Participant
    In my city I have found black/white relations to be MUCH better since the election of Obama. Mind you, I live in a very liberal place, but I noticed by the day after the election that blacks returned my smiles when perhaps in the past they hadn't. I'm "white" btw. I don't know Jacksonville but perhaps this historic election has had the opposite effect there.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris
    Participant
    I can't say that it's so good in Connecticut, either. But I promise that if you're a good-looking woman of any color (or age) driving around me then I'll be scoping you out with appreciation. And I won't be obnoxious about it, either; but I do love to look at pretty women. And I guarantee that if you smile and wave, then I surely will as well.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 51, City : Windsor, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : Construction Estimator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Burt B
    Participant
    I have never felt the need to "get away" from a woman I was checking out (black, Asian, white or whatever). However, it could be that they are afraid of being perceived as doing the wrong thing, and then getting attacked. With all the diversity training I get a work, it makes me think three times before I ask any question of a black man or woman, out of fear of legal entanglements. The message seems to be that Blacks and some Hispanics are very prickly and waiting to start something. And yet the black folks I talk to are always open and helpful.

User Detail :  

Name : Burt B, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Jewish, Age : 48, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I'm white and live in a very integrated community in St. Louis - whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos. I get the reverse treatment from blacks, but not the other ethnic groups in stores by clerks. Some black clerks ignore or look away from white customers. Some even seem hostile for no reason (there seems to be an implied feeling of "your people enslaved my people." My people were immigrants here, not slaveholders.) It works both ways. I think many white women are afraid of black men they don't know because of high black crime rates. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MattH
    Participant
    White people do that to everyone. It doesn't matter what race you are. There are to many people on this planet and most everyone is self absorbed. Try waving hellp first and see how they respond. If they don't wave back it doesn't make them a racist, just a jerk.

User Detail :  

Name : MattH, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.