Why are tips so necessary?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

JaneNova
    Why is it necessary to tip people on certain occupations? Like, waiters, bus boys, etc? I understand that they are doing us a service, but aren't they already getting paid by their employer? Isn't it the employer's responsibility to ensure that their employees get paid well enough so that they provide great service, and in turn see customers keep coming back?

User Detail :  

Name : JaneNova, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I agree that it SHOULD be the employer's obligation to pay a better wage, but since they know employees get tips, many of them pay employees BELOW the minimum wage. Without tips, they would starve. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Americans are expected to pay out of pocket in order to support corporate interests. From having to tip underpaid restaurant staffers to having to pay for schools that are largely unusable. Hiring cheap labor helps the bottom line for large employers but is destroying the middle class as they're expected to take up the slack on everything from medicaid to infrastructure repair.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

KC
    Participant
    I don't know how things are in California, but in Texas servers are paid much less than minimum wage, usually $2 to $3 an hour. I don't know how it got started, but it helps people with smaller, non-corporate restaurants afford to stay in buisiness. If you can't afford to tip, then you shouldn't eat at those restaurants.

User Detail :  

Name : KC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : AUSTIN, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Sam
    Interesting. I've visited many countries on my buusiness visits. In some countries tip is included in the original price of the food so employer can pay higher wages to the employee. Plus employer keep an eye on the employee. If employee behaves bad with the custom he gets fired.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam, City : Lewisville, State : TX Country : United States, 

IanM
    Managers are only required to pay waiters enough so that their salary plus tips will equal minimum wage on a typical day. Waiters also have to pay taxes on the food they serve you, so if they get no tip, they end up losing money for serving people.

User Detail :  

Name : IanM, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 20, City : Needham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.