Why are Muslims supposed to like bean pies?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Vilas
    Why are Muslims supposed to like bean pies? I'm a Muslim and have never even seen a one and don't know what it is. No one else I know has ever heard of them, but I've gotten teased about bean pies often in college and high school.

User Detail :  

Name : Vilas, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Pakistani/Irish, Religion : Muslim, Age : 21, City : Islamabad, State : NA Country : Pakistan, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I'm not sure if this will help, but around Boston members of the Nation of Islam sell bean pies (like a fruit pie, only filled with baked beans) on corners and at traffic lights. They also hand out literature, though not always at the same time. I've always thought the pies were a fundraising effort(although I could definitely be wrong here).

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Framingham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

LUUVY
    Participant
    I am sorry to say that the people who refer to you liking bean pies are ignorant in the fact that there are diffrent sects of the islamic religion. There are Suni, Fruit of Islam ( Farrakhan). The FOI often sale bean pies and fruit to the public as the Sunis' do not.

User Detail :  

Name : LUUVY, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : DETROIT, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

ED25467
    Participant
    Bean pies are a product of the Nation of Islam, which, as far as I know, is a phenomenon of the United States. Whoever is teasing you must believe that you share this particular cultural trait with the Nation of Islam. By the way, bean pies are made similarly to pumpkin or sweet potato pies, with pureed white beans used instead of those other main ingredients. They're pretty tasty, too.

User Detail :  

Name : ED25467, Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

Ramonna30222
    Participant
    Years ago when I lived in Washington, D.C., members of the Nation of Islam (which is not to say all Muslims) used to sell bean pies on the sidewalks. I always assumed it was a fund-raising activity and had no religious (or political, for that matter) significance. At least none of the men selling the pies tried to convert me to Islam. That's probably where the idea came from that Muslims like bean pies. The pies were very good, although I had to be convinced to try one the first time. To me, they taste kind of like sweet potato pies, but with a different texture, kind of sweet but not overly sweet. Definitely something to try, if you have never tasted one. Lately, I have seen them in a Lebanese deli near my house, but I don't know whether the owners are Muslim.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramonna30222, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

M. Y.
    Participant
    I used to have a neighbor from India who moved to England to study when she was a kid. She eats beans, beans, beans. Everything she cooks has bloody beans inside, and it's thanks to her I think beans are one of the most disgusting things in the world. I mean, she cooks like a whiz, and she bakes the best pies, but they have beans inside - and they're all gross, disgusting, starchy lentil beans that taste like sawdust. So maybe it's because many people have the perception that blacks are mostly Muslims, and that some countries like India include lots of beans in their diet and are full of black people, and so they're supposedly 'Muslims' (the general ignorant perception of the masses) so they eat beans.

User Detail :  

Name : M. Y., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : n/a, State : NA Country : n/a, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

nicola
    Participant
    I'ts because the Nation of Islam, a black american muslim association would sell bean pies along with other things in Harlem, in the early days to raise money for the masjid.

User Detail :  

Name : nicola, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : jamaican, Age : 25, City : minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : researcher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John29267
    Participant
    Usually, I can get fresh Red Bean Cakes from a Chinese Restaurant in New York City. Last time I checked, the only province in China with a Muslim majority was Uigur ('scuze the spelling)in the far West.

User Detail :  

Name : John29267, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : NA, State : NY Country : United States, 

mazherkazmi
    Participant
    how are you i am fine i love you you relpy

User Detail :  

Name : mazherkazmi, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Disability : Deaf, Race : Asian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 16, City : Islamabad, State : ME Country : Pakistan, Occupation : 1, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Dan31708
    Participant
    In America we have an organization of black Muslims called the Nation of Islam. They are somewhat known for their bean pies, which they sell on the sidewalks in certain parts of town to raise money. It's kind of like pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie, but better.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31708, Gender : M, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Future Social Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.