Why all the hype?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mohammad
    Participant
    Why would people watch wrestling even though everybody knows it's all fake?

User Detail :  

Name : Mohammad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 32, City : washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : waiter, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan
    Participant
    Think of it not as a sport, but as a "rope opera" - a soap opera for guys. There is always the anticipation of who's going to feud with whom, who's going to doublecross whom, and who's going to sneak behind someone with a metal folding chair. The exact same principle applies to some women's fascination with The Young and the Restless, minus the vulgarity, gratuitous violence, raunchy and bawdy dialogue, and the generally outrageous spectacle. It's low brow entertainment at its finest.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Corryn
    Participant
    I think the concept of why men and women watch wrestling is pretty simple: It's physical, has action and contains a plot. Professional wrestling may have staged themes and story lines, but the pain of a chair hitting somebody over the head can't be faked. I have seen several documentaries about professional wrestlers who talk about breaking nearly every bone possible during their careers. An excellent wrestler to look at is Man Kind, who has recently written a book. Wrestling is great. Just watch and enjoy!

User Detail :  

Name : Corryn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Kalamazoo, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rob S.
    People are fans of magicians, but they dont do real magic,theres is all illusions and quick handy work and their fans know it, but that dosent stop them loving it. As far as wrestling, it depends on how you look at it. Competivley it is, The winners and loosers are allready decided. But what goes on in the ring isent always gentle and fake. You cant fake being hit accross the head with a chair, or landing in drawing pins. And a german suplex comes from amature wrestling,which is designed to make you fatigue. Wrestling is not a sport, its sports entertainment. Its like when old medievil battles are performed on its historical locations now for an audiance, the pantomyme battles of modern day are fake, but people enjoy wathcing them!!!.

User Detail :  

Name : Rob S., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Poole, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Debbie Williams
    Participant
    I am a lover of wrestling and find it entertaining. To me it it no different than your favorite TV show: I know it is not real, but you know that movie you saw on TV wasn't real and you still liked it and watched it. It's the same thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbie Williams, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth23171
    Participant
    I didn't get it, either, until a friend gave me tickets to see him wrestle in a local professional wrestling league. I went to see him, knowing I would hate it. It was one of the funniest events I have ever witnessed. It's much more like interactive theater than anything. I remember an audience member stealing one of the bad guys' jackets and jumping up and down on it in the aisle. I remember the bad guy threatening him and the whole row standing up to defend the jumper. Everyone was yelling, and it was quite clear everyone knew it was a joke. I was laughing so hard I thought I might pee myself. But watching on TV blows - it doesnt' have the same feel at all. I would suggest going to see an event in person.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23171, Gender : F, City : Anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, 

Stacey C.
    Participant
    One of the best things about wrestling is that no one gets hurt (it's all fake) except in an accident (there was nothing fake about Owen Hart's death). I have raised two boys, and I, their dad and they have always enjoyed the intrigue of relationships between the stars, all the 'apparent' violence (and yet week after week the same guys come back) and the excitement of the audience. I have never allowed my kids to roughhouse, and they burn off a lot of energy rooting for Hulk Hogan or The Iron Shiek. They also learned that it is only entertainment, like a well-constructed play, and that that type of behavior for any other reason is unacceptable. If you don't enjoy wrestling, that's fine, but it is a great family way to kill a Saturday night if you watch it in the spirit in which it was intended. Have fun!

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 42, City : Vernon, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Meggie
    Participant
    We watch them because the characters are so charasmatic; NOTHING they poke fun at is taken seriously, (not meant to be, so we cannot get 'offended' by their more controversial storylines), and for the sheer talent it takes for these big, burly guys to pull these impressive stunts off without harming themselves or eachother. --- Just the facial expressions (Vinny Mac, Booker ...) are priceless. They make regular programming seem lame in comparison -- they are actually more convincing actors!~ If sit-com actors give 100%, it seems these guys are giving 550%! ----- And these guys are athletes, first!! It's all in good fun and a great stress-buster -- especially if you work with folks who are straight-faced serious all day/every day. All in all, these performers are downright hysterical, too! Haven't laughed so hard since M*A*S*H* And the only 2 shows each week we do NOT miss if we can help it (save Emeril). Half of the 'characters' make fun of themselves. Can be some lessons learned in humility just listening to the likes of Kurt Angle & Jericho LOL Love 'em!

User Detail :  

Name : Meggie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Not, Age : 35, City : Originally Phila., State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Hospitality, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

PW30314
    Participant
    I have bad news for you: TV shows, movies - they are also fake. Actors, the lot of them. Besides, have you ever seen 'real' wrestling? It's really boring by comparison, almost never do they use the 'flying backwards kneehold of death'.

User Detail :  

Name : PW30314, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.