Why Are Christian Stereotypes So Negaive?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alex-DeLuna28851
    Participant
    Christians in the media can be caricatured as a)Ned Flanders b)Peter Griffin's dad or c)The priest from V for Vandetta or d)KKK skinhead hick. My question is: Why are Christians stereotyped so badly and in such a variety or conflicting ways. Either Christians are regarded as a)Nauseatingly nice and friendly b)In your face and close minded c)Corrupted and perverted or d)Abusive and intolerant? There are very few good Christian role models on television and many of the points the media makes in criticizing Christianity is either old news and/or from a minority of Christians themselves. Arguments about denominations and races/classes need not apply.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex-DeLuna28851, City : San Ramon, State : CA Country : United States, 
    What about the father of 7th Heaven? What about all the other positive portrayals of Christians through the years? You said that Christians in the media are caricatured. A caricature is not meant to be a "role model". It's meand to exaggerate one or two particular facets of whatever it is being caricatured. With that said, have you looked at the Christian role models out there on the television? Swaggart (twice caught with a prostitute), Haggard (drug abuse), Roberts (Oral: give me 8 million dollars or god will take me or Richard: under investigation for misappropriation of funds for Oral Roberts University), Dobson (who believes he's incapable of sinning ever again), Bakker (convicted of swindling millions of dollars from the faithful). Love and Light, Rev. Shelly

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    It's the Christian sense of exceptionalism that grates. Anytime you have a group of people saying that they're right (and "good") because they BELIEVE something, and you are wrong (and "bad") because you DON'T believe it...well...resentment and anger will follow smug superiority every time. When Christians set themselves up on a pedastel as "better" or "more moral", don't be surprised when people gleefully point out every flaw and imperfection in that characterization.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ChrisD
    The Christians who fit these negative stereotypes are the ones who get attention and thus become the stereotype representation. The same is true of my faith. Most people do not realize I am a Witch because I do not wear goth clothing or tons of pentacle clad jewelry. I also do not light candles in my office or run around with a smudge stick purifying every place I have to work. That is how we are often portrayed, though. In my opinion, that is part of why I love this site: these stereotype can be dispelled.

User Detail :  

Name : ChrisD, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Production Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

norbertneuman
    Participant
    some of the most evil people in our society are called "christians" an example: the westboro baptist church

User Detail :  

Name : norbertneuman, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : mahtomedi, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.