Whites and suntans

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Todd
    Participant
    I believe that most people who tan for the sake of being tan do so because of the images of beauty portrayed in the media. I am a white male with a naturally dark complexion and tan very easily. I live in North Carolina and am able to spend much of the year outdoors. I love being outdoors (at the beach, the mountains or just putzing around the yard) shirtless. The sun feels absolutely amazing on your skin. Of course, being a man means I perceive myself as indestructible, so I rarely bother to use a sunscreen. To me, being tan is just a side effect of my lifestyle. The only time I have ever intentionally tanned was before a weeklong vacation at the beach. I wanted to build my sun tolerance because I knew I would be careless with the sunscreen.

User Detail :  

Name : Todd, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Gastonia, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Network Administrator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John L.
    Participant
    I like to have a healthy looking tan because it makes my body look cleaner. The darker I am, the 'cleaner' I look.

User Detail :  

Name : John L., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 32, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sarah
    I think suntans look nice on people with an olive complexion. A Hispanic ex-boyfriend of mine tended to look unhealthy if he wasn't at least a little tan. I, on the other hand, am pretty pale with blonde hair. I've had three blistering sunburns, and during the last one I was put on steroids to control the inflammation and Tylenol 3 just so I could lie down to sleep. I'm envious of people who can go to a picnic or an outdoor concert without slathering on the SPF 45. That said, I think sunbathing for the sake of tanning is stupid with all the information we have linking it to skin cancer and premature aging.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 21, City : Burke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mia
    Participant
    I'm not sure, but I do believe that the need for a tan has a more shallow basis. A tan implies that you get out, you do sports, you go to the beach. And I don't know about anyone else, but King Louis of France (pick one, it doesn't matter which) was hardly the hottie with pallid skin. I am not sure that it's a personal identity issue as a much as an image one.

User Detail :  

Name : Mia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 16, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Moe20285
    Participant
    I go swimming all the time and I am so dark in the summer. I don't go tanning but people automatically assume, because I tan eaisier and I don't burn, that I do. I like the way my tan looks on me and when it starts to fade in the winter I look like I'm not the outdoorsy type of girl that I am.

User Detail :  

Name : Moe20285, Age : 15, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ashley
    Participant
    I think that white people like to have a suntan because it looks better than pale white skin. It does mean that your not satisfied when the color of your skin. I am white but I perfer not to get a suntan, just for the fact that I do not want to get wrinkles when I get older and because of the damage that the sun does to your skin.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : St. John's, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.