White people’s ribs are different?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Renea
    Participant
    Is it true that the ribs of white people are shaped differently than the ribs of blacks? One has flat ribs and the other round. And what about other races?

User Detail :  

Name : Renea, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : late 50s, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

JamesC
    I am an MD, just to give a certain amount of authority in terms of anatomy. I will take the liberty of posting a few other replies rather than just a yes or no. There is no difference in the ribs of the races. The functions of the ribs are manifold. First they must offer a support for the diaphragm and the accessory muscles of respiration. In addition to this supportive function, they have a physiologic function as a "spring trying to open outwards". This is balanced by the lungs and muscles which try to collapse inward. Any change in the flattened profile, ie rounding, of the ribs would make breathing an almost insurmountable chore. The major differences, which are minimal, are that blacks, in general, have a higher amount of fast twitch musculature. There are minimal differen

User Detail :  

Name : JamesC, City : springfield, State : MA Country : United States, 

Burt B
    Participant
    I felt my ribs, and I can not tell if they are flat or round.

User Detail :  

Name : Burt B, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Jewish, Age : 48, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, 
    Rose, It is true, we are built differently. I can't wear a football jersey but my brother-in-law, almost the same age, who is black, can wear a football jersey because his shoulders are more pronounced than mine plus his abbs are a different length than mine, also.

User Detail :  

Name : BruceStephens, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Surveyor, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower class, 

maryrandi
    Participant
    Hi, I am American Indian and my ribs seem to jut out in front. It makes wearing bras extreemly uncomfortable. I think the reason there is a difference in ribs is the general bone structure of different races.

User Detail :  

Name : maryrandi, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Baptist, City : green Cove Springs, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : gardener, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

ErnieH
    Participant
    Each rib has two parts: the neck and the shaft. The middle ribs have flattened necks, perhaps to guard our "innards" better.

User Detail :  

Name : ErnieH, Gender : Female, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Warner Robins, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : personal trainer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.