Where to study abroad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Alex J.
    Participant
    I am a first-year college student interested in studying abroad junior year, and am preparing my foreign language studies as appropriate. Where would people recommend I go to get the most out of the experience? I am specifically looking for cultures that contrast with the United States.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 17, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : High School student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

David Stephen, PhD
    Participant
    I teach int'l business and cross-cultural mgmt. I've travelled quite a bit and was surprised to find that even the smallest cross-cultural experience can have a profound and beneficial effect. I suggest you 1) go to a country where you already have a rudimentary grasp of the language (did you take high school French, Spanish, German?), 2) try to stick among the natives as much as possible to get the most of your time, and 3) keep a daily detailed journal because many of your thoughts, feelings, observations, etc. will benefit from examination later. Congrats on an urge to go abroad. I wish it were a requirement for every degree!

User Detail :  

Name : David Stephen, PhD, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 53, City : Broomfield, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.