What’s wrong with this picture?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Larry22954
    Participant
    We operate an upscale portrait studio in Ohio. We did a family portrait for a black family recently. As we entered the sales room, which has several framed examples of our work, she stated "Why are there no black families on these walls?" The tone was actually hateful. I told her that we had never done a black family, but there were several black senior portraits in the front room, and in the portfolios. At this point, her husband told her to calm down.

Why was this woman so hateful? We advertise for senior portraits and do any other buisness that comes in the front door. We have never turned anyone away.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry22954, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 46, City : Vandalia, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Photographer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Samuel
    Though the woman may have been rather harsh in her approach, you must consider that many blacks frequently must deal with many racially oriented slaps in the face, especially in their dealings - both direct and indirect - with the larger "white" culture. While your establishment apparently didn't deserve such a scathing criticism (as evidenced by the husband's reaction), you must understand that some black people may have a tendency to develop a siege mentality when dealing with the white public. This is just a defense mechanism, and you shouldn't take it personally.

User Detail :  

Name : Samuel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Firefighter, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kathy26686
    Participant
    Sam, I find it interesting that whites are supposed to understand the black point of view, but blacks can interpret comments whites make any way they wish. I have experienced much more hostility from blacks than I ever demonstrated toward them. I agree with you. though. that it does sound as though her husband's calmer sense prevailed.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy26686, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 46, City : Springfield, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative assistant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Alma M.
    Participant
    I agree with Sam that you should not take her reaction personally. As a member of a minority group, I, too, look for representation among products out there in the market and find it frustrating when only the white majority is represented. My daughters and I went to the All American Girl Place in Chicago, and after browsing their lower, middle and upper level and not finding one single doll that accurately portrayed Asians with darker complexion, we went to the manager and ask why they thought all Asians had light complexions and why all the dolls had the same shape eyes. We would just like to be able to see ourselves in the American mirror.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Filipino-American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 46, City : Clinton, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kerry
    The hostility showed to you was wrong. It may be understandable, but still wrong. No one should assume anything about another human being. I believe it should be taken personally. We have to stop racism in all forms! The customer assumed that Larry was a racist and is that any better then if Larry assumed the customer was poor because they were African American. Again, I state the hostility is understandable, but that does not make it right. If I was robbed and beaten by a Hispanic Man and then hated all Hispanic Men, would I be right?

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Human Resources, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jerry30758
    Participant
    As a retired photographer my response would have been, you're the first black family I have done and with your permission I would like to make a sample from your session for display. I can only assume that it was a good session and the family was dressed in harmony.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry30758, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : retired photographer, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.