What to do in Northern Ireland

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Brandon19395
    Participant
    I'm an American student who will be studying in Northern Ireland. What advice do people there have? You know, things I should say, avoid saying, etc...

User Detail :  

Name : Brandon19395, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28221
    Participant
    My mother was born in Northern Ireland and we both visit family there regularly. She grew up in one of the toughest and most violent housing estates (housing projects) in Belfast and much of her family still lives there. Needless to say, the atmosphere is intimidating there and it's best not to visit some places if you don't belong. But otherwise, the people there tend to be full of life and hospitable and the country absolutely beautiful. As long as you don't try and lecture them about religion or politics you'll get along fine. Not that they won't try to lecture you, because they will, but it's best to listen and learn when it comes to the mindset that some of them have grown up with.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28221, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Construction, Social class : Lower class, 

Seamus28227
    Participant
    I have family in Northern Ireland and visit there a couple times a year regularly. I have family in small rural hamlets as well as some of the meanest West Belfast estates. I think you would do well by remembering the famous sign I always see at bars: 'No Religion, No Politics.' Not that their situation won't ever come up in conversation, but make sure it's a native who does so. An outsider's understanding of this complicated and deepseeded conflict can be insulting and demeaning to people that have grown up with it and live with it. I know I couldn't see the point in the conflict for years (and many in NI agreed with that) but I always played it low-key and listened.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28227, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Construction, Social class : Lower class, 

Brian23021
    Participant
    Hi Brandon, first things first. The North prolly isn't as bad as you might have heard. Bombs and shootings don't happen every day. Saying that, I would definately stay away from stating any religious preferences, or getting into a situation where you describe either English or Irish people in a bad way. This even applies to humour unfortunately. All in all, try to get some friends that have been living in the North for a while, and they should be able to let you know what is exceptable for that area pretty quickly. Best of luck with your studies!

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23021, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Athlone, State : NA Country : Ireland, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eilis
    Participant
    i'm not from there, but my family is , and i know a lot about the situation. you should really avoid mentioning religion, or anything about the troubles. if someone else brings it up, go with whatever they say, if they're protestant and you're catholic, avoid mentioning it, but if they ask you, say you're 'christian' that way you're not lying, but they wont try to kill you or have you arrested(im serious, here) hope i helped.

User Detail :  

Name : Eilis, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John29259
    Participant
    The situation is much better in NI than it has been for a very long time (although year to year it changes.) At this point in time, the ethnic conflicts are confined to the working class neighborhoods -- the higher you go in the scale, the less it seemed to matter (this is very unlike the question of race in America.) I would recommend following the lead of the people you are with; you probably won't come to understand the emotional issues deeply enough to contribute your own opinions when you do come across an attitude guided by the history of conflict, but it is pretty easy to 'stay out of trouble' if you do what you'd ordinarily do: hang out with people as individuals, and avoid national stereotypes in your own talk ('oh, is this how the Irish do it? Is this how the British do it?'). This is similar to what you'd do in the states when faced with a mixed-race group of friends, but, again, because Protestant and Catholic are mixed by class as well as being (to the eye) indistinguishable, you will find it much easier than a NI person coming over here.

You will still find some disturbing reminders, however, even if you stay out of the bad neighborhoods (I find 'terrorism tours' hideous, and I don't recommend going on one -- respect the desires of people who want to move on from history.) For example, you may see military trucks (sometimes scary-looking) from time to time. But here in New York we have soliders in the subway post 9/11 -- it's not something we're proud of, and we'd rather not talk about it in casual conversation.

User Detail :  

Name : John29259, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rosie B
    The issue in northern Ireland was between the Catholic (who were the majority) and the protestants, a religon some what imposed on the Irish by England. There have been attrocitys by both sides as recently as a decade ago. Today the majority of Catholics live in the south (Republic of Ireland) and Protestant Northern Ireland is still part of the UK. The conflict is still very fresh in peoples minds so do be careful of what you say with regards to Christianity. I would also avoid talk about Celtic and Rangers. These are football teams however Irish people may ask which you or others which they support: Rangers are traditionally Loyalists who wish to remain part of Britian and Celtic fans wish for a 'free' Ireland. Don't worry the Irish are traditionally very friendly, just avoid these topics around the boarder (where most people were affected)and maybe in pubs.

User Detail :  

Name : Rosie B, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 16, City : Manchester, State : AL Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SadhbhDC
    As an American you'd be better off staying away from politics and religion.Seriously. Otherwise, you're on safe ground. By all means never never express support for the USA's foriegn policy or describe it as a great country- that will certainly get peoples backs up.

User Detail :  

Name : SadhbhDC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 15, City : Dublin, State : NA Country : Ireland, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.