What is it about Jesus?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Lisa
    As I was driving the other day, I came across a "Know Jesus, Know Peace" bumper sticker, and it dawned on me that, despite 12 years of Catholic education, I don't understand the whole "Love Jesus" thing. My relationship is with God, and I don't even think I've thought a whole lot about Jesus, other than that he was regarded as the Son of God. When I pray, I talk to God, not Jesus. What am I missing about the Jesus phenomenon? Perhaps this isn't something that can be answered, but it is something I am wondering about.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Financial Services, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    Jesus is the doorway into God's Kingdom, and once you're there, all aspects and fruits of the Kingdom of God will be yours, including peace. If you are walking with God, I believe you should be a reflection of Christ, doing all He did (John 10:10). He is our teacher, and we should follow in his footsteps, not just the 12. If we live up to this, our blessings will be abundant. Hence: "Know Jesus, know peace."

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, City : Beaumont, State : CA Country : United States, 

Caddy
    Participant
    Jesus is the "earthly" form of God, one of the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). If you believe Jesus is the son of God, in human form, then you would pray to and know him. It was Jesus who walked this Earth; Jesus who was the teacher of the disciples; and Jesus, in human form, who suffered and died for us all. To know Jesus is to read the written words of Bible. To love Jesus is to accept the fact that God, the Father, sent him to us because he loved us. He took him because He loved us and would take on all our sins if we but believe. To pray to Jesus is to pray to God. They are one and the same. God the Father, through his son Jesus Christ, through the Holy Spirit. Sometimes the best teaching can come from reading and believing.

User Detail :  

Name : Caddy, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Lexington, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : College Administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Augustine23663
    Participant
    No offense, but the Richmond diocese is one of the most liberal in the country, and I'm assuming your religious training was a bit spotty as a result of that. I am puzzled, though, that Jesus Christ as the center of our faith has left you with such questions. In Catholic theology, Jesus Christ is the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, and is God just as are the Father and the Holy Ghost. Indeed, Catholics believe that the Holy Eucharist (Communion) is the real Body and Blood of Christ, not just a symbol. There are two very traditional churches in Richmond (Latin Mass, etc.); I encourage you to look them up in your phone book and ask the priest the same question you asked in this forum.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23663, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mohammad
    Participant
    I will start by saying "Know God, Know Peace." As a Muslim, I do not think you need anyone to take you to God, and as you said yourself, you talk to God and not to Jesus. So I do not think you are missing a lot about what you called the "Jesus phenomenon," except that all you need to know is that Jesus was a human being who was chosen by God to be his messenger, not his son.

User Detail :  

Name : Mohammad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 32, City : washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : waiter, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Al
    Participant
    Your question is a good one, and posed seriously, and I will not undermine your intentions by giving you a trite, cliched response. If you will study the four Gospels, you will find what Jesus told His followers and disciples. Jesus Himself taught that we need to approach the Father through Him; and that if one had looked on Jesus, that one had seen the Father as well. The peace spoken of is spirital peace - the assuredness of salvation and redemption from sin and death, through Jesus. I bid you God's blessing as you study to understand. Perhaps a chat with a knowledgable evangelical believer would give you more insight.

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacey
    Participant
    The most important factor of Jesus' existence is that it is because of his sacrifice that we are given the opportunity to have everlasting life. Here are some Scriptures that might help you understand: Colossians 1:13-20 where Jesus is said to be "the image of the invisible God." In 1 Timothy 2:5 Jesus is referred to as the mediator between God and men. John 14:10-14 shows how Jesus shows us God. 1 Peter 2:21 says Christ left a model for "you to follow his steps closely." Also, we are instructed to approach God through Jesus.(John 14:6)

Reading of Jesus' ministry might help you understand this "phenomenon." He is the greatest man who ever walked on our earth. While your relationship may be with God, it is important to know what kind of person God sent to us.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 28, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debbi
    Participant
    DEAR SIR, JESUS WAS 100%ABSOLUTELY, POSTIVIELY SENT AS GOD IN THE FLASH AND AS HIS SON TO LIVE HERE ON EARTH.....HE DIED FOR US, ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR US AND IS ABLE TO GIVE US ETERNAL LIFE THROUGH SIMPLY BELIEVING IN HIM.... I WILL PRAY THAT YOU WILL SEE THIS.....

User Detail :  

Name : Debbi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Sales/ministry, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Debbi
    Participant
    Jesus and God are one and the same. It is kind of like how you can be a mother, daughter, sister, customer, etc., but still be Lisa. Does that make any sense?

User Detail :  

Name : Debbi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Sales/ministry, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Donna25610
    Participant
    I can't pretend to be anything of an expert but your question gave me a lot to think about. One thought I had was that when you look at the trinity and consider the three aspects of God - the one that is the link to our earthly life is Christ. Through his life, his experience we can see (know) God and his intentions for each of us as a child of God. So that leads to knowing Jesus - knowing God - through that understanding comes peace. Also if you compare the new and old testaments - the way that God is protrayed changes dramatically. God in the old testament is often destroying those who stand in the way of his plan for his chosen people. In the new I see a God through Christ who is using the power of love and compassion to pull all into an understanding of their role in this world and their relation to God. Again through the teachings of Christ - letting us understand God's plans for us - we obtain peace and salvation. As I said I claim to be no expert - I appreciate that you raised the question. It is a very good one.

User Detail :  

Name : Donna25610, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Pasadena, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

chester32347
    Participant
    If Christ was God's messenger, why don't you listen to the message. He said he was from God. In fact he said he was God. You have to take the whole message. Christ was not only a human being, he is God. That is why he is still alive today. Raised from the dead, giving him the power to save you from your sins.

User Detail :  

Name : chester32347, City : vinton, State : OH Country : United States, 

Chester32349
    Participant
    You say Christ is a messenger of God. You have to take the whole message. Christ says he is God. And by being God he can forgive you of your sins. Christ is the only way to God.

User Detail :  

Name : Chester32349, Gender : M, City : Vinton, State : OH Country : United States, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.