What does it mean to be heterosexual?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Felipe L. Simmons
    Participant
    I happen to be a 36-year-old heterosexual male who happens to be black, and for the better part of my life I have asked myself: What does it mean to be heterosexual? I do not see what is so great about it. I am having a hard time trying to find a woman I can spend the remainder of my life with.

User Detail :  

Name : Felipe L. Simmons, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Cafeteria Worker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Philip
    Questions about orientation are tough. Sexuality is determined by what type of person you are attracted to, love, desire, etc. You might look at it from the opposite perspective: 'What does it mean to me not to be homosexual?', 'What does it mean to me not to happen to be of another race?' Being gay, I don't think I can help you with what's so great about heterosexuality, but the other issues have to do with yourself and how you relate to other people and your expectations of them. Look to yourself, because only you can provide those answers and decide what you can change.

User Detail :  

Name : Philip, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : American Indian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 38, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Theatre artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Crystal
    Relationships are difficult for most everyone, whether straight or gay. I'm a straight woman and I am having a hard enough time finding a man I want to marry and live with the rest of my life. Being heterosexual is easier in that society does not discriminate against straight couples - they are considered the 'norm' in most social and religious circles. However, dealing with people who think and act very differently than you do - men, or women, as the case may be - can be a really hard adjustment. I don't like stereotypical male interests such as sports and cars, find that most men don't like to read, and it's very difficult to find straight, male pagans - where I live they're mostly Christians or atheists.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lynn T.
    Participant
    I would suggest asking yourself if there is anything else that seems to float your boat more than spending the rest of your life with a woman. At one time I thought marriage to a man was my only option, but that really doesn't seem like the sort of life I want to have. Maybe you like women, but one is not enough. Maybe you also like men. Maybe all you need is yourself. There are a lot of people on this little planet, and we find a ton of different ways to make ourselves happy. Don't try too hard to satisfy some mysterious criteria to be heterosexual if it's not what makes you happy!

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard
    For me it means being attracted to women. I don't necessarily find it to be something 'great.' It just is - and I enjoy the attraction very much. But yours is not the challenge of being heterosexual, yours is the challenge of finding someone to 'spend the rest of your life with.' You can't look to celebrate your heterosexuality by having numerous choices for a life partner. First celebrate life and enjoy yourself as you are, and attracting that life mate will be less of a challenge and less of a reflection on how bad it is to be heterosexual.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : architect, 

Hunt-Styles
    Participant
    I thinks it means feeling comfortable with yourself and not caring what anyone thinks, also. But if you've got questions about your sexuality, you need to come to an understanding on what doesnt make your comfortable.

User Detail :  

Name : Hunt-Styles, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 30, City : Mckeesport, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : @Home Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.