What does Klu Klux Klan mean?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Ivana21241
    Participant
    What does Klu Klux Klan mean? I was wondering where the name came from and what it stands for.

User Detail :  

Name : Ivana21241, Gender : F, Age : 13-18, City : Lancaster, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominique
    Participant
    The Ku and the Klux are actually Latin for 'The Circle'. It appears memebers of the klan wanted to continue the trend, so they spelled clan with a K. The name 'the circle clan' might refer to rituals the group performs as they are standing in spherical shape, or it could mean forming a circle to keep out certain types of people unlike them. For more info you could visit their website (have fun) http://www.kukluxklan.org/

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

MarronBella22150
    Participant
    It's Ku Klux Klan, not Klu Klux Klan. It has some greek meaning behind it. The Klan members adopted the name from the Greek word, 'kuklos', meaning. 'circle'.

User Detail :  

Name : MarronBella22150, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Rick29815
    Participant
    From www.worldbookonline.com: 'The group took its name from the Greek word kuklos, meaning circle, and the English word clan.'

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29815, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Z. Michael
    To me, it means 'hate for anything and everything that is not of the pure white race'. I think I pretty much nailed that question.

User Detail :  

Name : Z. Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Springfield, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Music Producer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Brenda19416
    Participant
    Although I dont know the meaning 'KKK' the Klu is KU, NOT Klux. Originally orgainized in Tennessee 1865-1866 by six former Confederate Army Officers who gave thier society a name adopted from the Greek word KUKLOS ('circle'). Beginning as a prankish social organization its activities soon were directed against the Republican Reconstruction Governments and thier leaders both black and white.

User Detail :  

Name : Brenda19416, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Wichita, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Matt-Cramer21991
    Participant
    I did a report on this group once for a high school project. One thing I turned up was the origin of the name. 'Ku Klux' apparently was derived from the Greek word for a circle. They added 'Klan' for the alliteration, mostly.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt-Cramer21991, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, 

Frank25177
    Participant
    http://www.africana.com/Articles/tt_111.htm 'The original Ku Klux Klan was organized in Pulaski, Tennessee, during the winter of 1865-1866, by six former Confederate army officers who gave their society a name adapted from the Greek word kuklos ('circle').' The article goes into more details.

User Detail :  

Name : Frank25177, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Wiccan, Age : 35, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J.S. Burns
    In an aside in a book about the Knights Templars and Freemasonry by John J. Robinson's 'Born In Blood' it is suggested that the words come from the ancient Greek meaning 'kuklos' or 'circle'. I've heard a comment elsewhere that the words imitate the sounds of a repeating rifle being cocked--which seems unlikely as I believe repeating rifles may have been created long after the Klan was formed.

User Detail :  

Name : J.S. Burns, City : South Roxana, State : IL Country : United States, 

Steve27607
    Participant
    I have heard that it comes from the ancient Greek work 'kuklos' which means circle. The Klan comes from the Scottish Clan or family. Figures that the the klan would misspell both words.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27607, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 46, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Corporate Cubicle Dweller, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

MarronBella22152
    Participant
    Hello, sweetheart. I just wanted to let you know that you will never get a response here at the Y forum. That is because they don't believe in posting messages that make sense. I posted a response to you about a month ago, and it never appeared. It would be best to go to a website that has some people running it with some sense.

User Detail :  

Name : MarronBella22152, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Dennis25696
    Participant
    It comes from the Greek word kuklos, meaning circle. I suppose the 'Klan' part is self explanatory.

User Detail :  

Name : Dennis25696, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, 

lawrence26106
    Participant
    Its ku not klu but anyway Ku Klux comes from the greek word kuklos meaning circle and clan is spelled with a K for alliteration. the shape circle has long been thought of to be equaling perfection so therefore it isnt hard to figure out why they chose kuklos

User Detail :  

Name : lawrence26106, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 18, City : huntington beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.