Were Katrina delays really racist?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mike19463
    Participant
    Does anyone besides Jesse Jackson actually believe the federal government delayed disaster relief a few days for Hurricane Katrian its doors to welcome displaced families, and look at all the white rescue workers who are working alongside black rescuers.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike19463, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 37, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : construction, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nydia
    Participant
    It't true. My family is all from New Orleans, and while most of us left before it hit, my aunt stayed. While she wasn't in the convention center, or superdome she also suffered. After escaping her house on Tuesday because of the rising water, she went to the bridge, where she had parked her car. She said there were about 100 other people there with her. She stayed there for 3days, until she was recued. In those 3 days, everyday and night the helicopters were flying right over them, at night time shining here lights on them, and in three days they dropped absolutly nothing. She says if it wasn't for the looters, they wouldn't have had anything to eat or drink. After they were rescued, they were given 1 gatorade and some MRIs. And then made to sleep on the ground while waiting for a bus to come. After hearing her story, I truly believe that if they where white, they would not have been there that long, and without food.

User Detail :  

Name : Nydia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    All White people are not racist your argument is flawed. So since John Brown was White the KKK could not have been racist? Just because there are white people down there saving lives does not excuse FEma and it's director from their lack of response for his lack of tact. MR. Brown on CNN stated that it was the victoms fault that they were stranded, starving and dying regardless of how you feel about that statement it was the wrong time to say that seeing that FEMA had not made it to New Orleans yet. In addition to that they saud they counldnt get into the city how weve 2 Duke students drove in and out of NO repeatedly and video taped it. CNN made it there FOX made it their MSNBC made it their hell I think Ben lade could have walked their in the time it took the government to respond to tax payers in distress. the irony is that a week or 2 prior to the hurricain they spent about 10 million dollars sending equipmant to russia to rescue a stranded suit took them 18 hours to get to russia and 5 days to get to the damn gulf coast. Why?

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 32, City : jones, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Tax accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherry19471
    Participant
    You're correct. White rescuers did leave the comforts of their homes in order to rescue needy people in the Gulf Coast, and I commend them. However, I continually flash back to the rapid American response to the Tsunami that hit India and Indonesia. This is one of those things that causes me to wonder.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry19471, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jim
    Participant
    I dont think so either. Bush might not be the best president but this whole nonsense about delaying response for racism is just a bunch of bull shit.. im tired of the blacks throwing the RACE card for everything that happens to them.

User Detail :  

Name : jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : port huron, State : MI Country : United States, 

Nanci-H
    Participant
    Mike I do agree with you that alot of people of all colors and races has come together to help all of the people in need, which is wonderful. But I do believe to certain extent that things were prolonged to provide aid because of the area that was affected. I just don't see how the media from all over the world could manuver and get in the flooded and damaged areas, but it took our president, our crooked prseident, five days to even get to New Orleans. It wasn't until that Friday that bush made it to the disaster area. If it would have been Texas, he would have been there the following day. But we will see if their will be a difference of how he responds to hurricane rita because it is hitting Texas tonight.His life is there in Texas, so I will be watching very closely and so will every one else.

User Detail :  

Name : Nanci-H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Full Time Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John
    Participant
    No. The delays was because the thugs had guns and was firing at police and rescue copters. The governor did not send in the Nation Guard right away because they did not have strength in numbers to overwhelm the thugs. I'm tired of the rescue operations being called racist. It wasn't. So stop it.

User Detail :  

Name : John, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Christine19498
    Participant
    i now believe so . looking at the fact that the New Orleans governor had to lay off 3000 people from work to keep up with financial and relief efforts is absolutly disgracefull becasue it makes it look as if New Orleans is it's own counrty and not a part of one of the strongest countries in the world whose government should be taking up the tab for what relief efforts and city finacnes can't cover. Bush goes on about the war, and New Orleans suffers like it has no part in the USA. In my mind, this is a little bigger than race , its more politics.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19498, City : H., State : CT Country : United States, 

malika Hampton
    Participant
    I do not think that the delays to disaster relief were because they were black i believe it was because they were poor. If the hurricane had hit a richer neighborhood the relief would have been faster. I think race plays a part in may things in this country but not everything.

User Detail :  

Name : malika Hampton, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Columbus, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : graphic designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Roberta19546
    Participant
    I doubt even Jackson himself really believes this nonsense. It's just another way for him to keep himself in the public eye, by claiming 'racism' at every opportunity, regardless of the lack of actual evidence for the claim. He's an expert at manipulating the public perception on such issues.

User Detail :  

Name : Roberta19546, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, City : Dresden, State : TN Country : United States, 

Todd28964
    Participant
    No, Jesse jackson is an idiot, so is Michael jackson who is a digrase to both the white and black community.

User Detail :  

Name : Todd28964, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Other Pacific Islander, Religion : Native American, Age : 18, City : Santa Monica, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : CIA, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.