War and menstrual cycles

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Deborah K.
    Participant
    Why does it appear that guys don't mind going to wars where there is a lot of bloodshed, but they do not like to hear about our menstrual cycles?

User Detail :  

Name : Deborah K., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    American culture's twitchy squeamishness about any indication of female sexuality has a lot to do with it. It's sort of the same impetus that causes the MPAA to rate a movie like 'Ultraviolet' PG-13, while at the same time giving an NC-17 rating to a movie like '9 1/2 Weeks.' Horrific violence is OK, but don't even hint that women are sexual beings, or else.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cal19547
    Participant
    First of all, who says guys don't mind going to wars where there is a lot of bloodshed? If you talk to most combat veterans, I think they would tell you otherwise. Now, back to your question: I guess it is the same reason we don't want to hear about any of your other bodily functions. I think men tend to idealize women and we don't want to think of the less pleasant aspects of your physiology. I think we want to think of vaginas as primarily erotic zones and not be reminded of its other functions.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal19547, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 43, City : Lakewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Katie28872
    Participant
    Hmm, well, I wouldn't go so far as to say they 'don't mind going to wars,' but I get your point. Consider the situation reversed: would you like to hear about your male friend's latest wet dream, and how he had to hide it from his mom? Yeah, I didn't think so. Each sex has its own little foibles to deal with; those of the other sex seem weird, gross and alien in comparison, simply because we didn't grow up with those problems. That being said, openly discussing bodily functions with someone who is not in the medical field is generally considered rude and disgusting; you should refrain whenever possible.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie28872, Gender : F, City : Lexington, State : KY Country : United States, 

Roger-D
    Participant
    It may appear that guys don't mind going to wars, but in reality most only want their war on the big screen. Most of the veterans I know and have spoken with have seen their fill of bloodshed in real life and now they prefer to watch a fictionalized account. As far as menstrual cycles go, our society for generations has separated the sexes to inform them of physiology and female reproductive biology, which intentional or not has had a subliminal effect on men that women's cycles are not to be discussed in a setting where females are present. I personally have never experienced this type of discussion shyness. I have never had a problem purchasing feminine products for girlfriends, and this amazed my wife when we met, because she had never encountered a guy who didn't mind going to the store for tampons and Midol.

User Detail :  

Name : Roger-D, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Panthiestic Multi-Soloplist, Age : 33, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Production Technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhonda
    Participant
    Men amaze me. You all don't mind having sex with a woman, but you can't stand to hear about a woman's period? Let a woman mention her menstrual cycle, and you all freak out? It also amazes me of how ignorant men AND women are about the functions of a woman's body; some of you don't know a damn fallopian tube from a uterus. And is there anyone in existence besides my 12-year-old son, who can explain in detail what a menstrual cycle is?

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 44, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly
    Participant
    Roger, you're good people.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andy-Wood28829
    Participant
    To be fair to modern men, this has a lot to do with the fact that historically speaking, science (including biology) has been heavily male-dominated until just recently. That, combined with varous cultural taboos on speaking about or studying reproductive functions and the genitals contribute a lot towards the lack of male understanding of female physiology

User Detail :  

Name : Andy-Wood28829, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 19, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student (aspiring electrician), Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Brad20800
    Participant
    There is a time and a place to discuss certain biological needs. I personally don't mind when me and my wife discuss her period and etcetera, I'm just grateful that she knows not to bring it up while we're eating Chinese food! (And yes, I've had SOME women do just that)

User Detail :  

Name : Brad20800, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer sales & tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

NadyaB
    Participant
    Men across the world have been squeamish about menstrual cycles. The Yanomamo, for instance, relegate women to small huts for them to menstruate and if they come out they will beat them. Native Americans had women stay in sweat lodges. The ancient Hebrews viewed a menstruating woman as unclean for 14 days and a woman who just gave birth as unclean for 7 days. In other words, men across the world have some hangup about menstruation. I would think it would be a boon to tribal cultures because it means the woman can reproduce. But yet again, men have no understanding of the female body and despite the wealth of information there is in Western society, it is still icky.

User Detail :  

Name : NadyaB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Bipolar disorder, Race : Swexican, Religion : Gnostic, Age : 22, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.