Using “a” at the end of the n-word

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bryan
    Participant
    How come African Americans who use the 'N' word end it with 'a' and not 'er,' and why are they OK with n-i-g-g-a but not n-i-g-g-e-r? What's the difference?

User Detail :  

Name : bryan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 14, City : san jose, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Deenie25805
    Participant
    Because, it makes it like you arent calling someone a name. Like when black peole say n-i-g-g-a to a fellow black person, they arent calling names, it's like a greeting. Sort of how white people say 'hi, sweetie'.

User Detail :  

Name : Deenie25805, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Buddhist, Age : 13, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

jazerai allen
    Participant
    To address the controversy concerning the usage of the word 'nigga' versus 'nigger,' I can only describe it one way. As a biracial woman, I have grown up hearing the word frequently in both contexts. I think that the African-American community over time has chosen to take ownership of the word 'nigger' and transforming it into 'nigga' to make it less degrading. Almost like taking back what was yours, but making a slight change.

User Detail :  

Name : jazerai allen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : san diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : teen program director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bonita
    Participant
    Nigga and nigger are two different words. Nigger means an ignorant person. Nigga is just a slang word that some black people use. Nigger is more derogatory and degrating for black people.

User Detail :  

Name : Bonita, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Decatur, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Daycare Worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    For the same reason that most african americans are ok with Sista and not Sister...get off the N word and focus on the phonetics

User Detail :  

Name : touchy buffalo, Gender : M, Age : 48, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina26282
    Participant
    I think black people do that to rebel against the original meaning and intent of the word, and to make a distinction the differences in when they use it. It seems to sound more 'hip' for those that use the word. And although I myself don't really approve of it, I think blacks that do are doing it in jest more than anything else, and the 'a' at the end further clarifies this.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina26282, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : DC, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transciber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Korky
    Participant
    First of all Bryan, nigga or nigger is equally offensive....a nigger is an ignorant person...all African Americans do not embrace that word regardless of spelling...the english language is always evolving...vowel sounds, letters, spellings are always changing and look and sound different in different parts of the country...I personally hate that word due to the fact that the word is used to humilate and denigrate people of color...ignorant people use that word...regardless of who you hear use that word, it is offensive, a sign of ignorance, and shouldn't be used at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Korky, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

jonathan29087
    Participant
    i am black and wonder the same thing

User Detail :  

Name : jonathan29087, City : atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Abby
    Participant
    From my black roommate: The n-word is only acceptable by black people, for black people. It is claiming a negative word to take away its power, just like a girlfriend can call me a bitch but a man can't. No matter how it is pronounced.

User Detail :  

Name : Abby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Aleria
    Participant
    THe word 'nigger' is very offensive to us because that's a word whites used to bring us down as a people, but the word 'nigga' is just a word that some black people use to describe a black man or as a term of endearment, etc. But don't get me wrong, neither of these words is aceptable for you to say.

User Detail :  

Name : Aleria, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 14, City : Marietta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

camille
    Participant
    The reason we do this is because they're two different words in our eyes. Two different meaning. As for instents.....Nigger...its a racial word..Down talking blacks or as some whites say its ; a dirty ignorant person. But when us black people use Nigga with each other or whoever its Nigga-whole different meaning. Its the same thing as white people use the word....'dude' Nigga means friend, dawg, hommie, brother, sister...as in 'nigga please'...Boy/Girl please. you see what im saying? To me its not that hard to understand but to some of my white friends it is.

User Detail :  

Name : camille, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : BLACK not african American, Religion : Non denomination, Age : 15, City : warren, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Bus Boy, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Paul S.
    Participant
    There is no difference where you are concerned. Either pronunication will get you stomped. You should ponder the various ways to say 'dude' and leave this one alone.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul S., City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, 

Shaquila
    Participant
    if i heard two black people say nigga and the other say nigger i would be offended at the one who said nigger, just because it seems angry. nigga is like a term used in general like is someone said 'hey playa!' and the other said 'hey player'...see the difference?

User Detail :  

Name : Shaquila, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Deirdre
    Participant
    Because n-i-g-g-a is more of a hello(even though that prolly isn't right in itself). N-i-g-g-e-r sounds more hateful, and was used on blacks back in the day.

User Detail :  

Name : Deirdre, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black and white, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Greeneville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.