Up and Adam in America

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Elaine
    Participant
    Why do people in places like North America generally wake up early and go to sleep early, whereas people in places like Hong Kong generally wake up later and also go to sleep later? I've read that people in North America wake up at around 5 a.m. and go to sleep by around 8 or 9 p.m. When I lived in Los Angeles, I'd wake up at around 5 or 5:30 a.m. so I could watch cartoons (I don't remember what time I went to bed, but I didn't have a bedtime). Now in Hong Kong, I go to sleep around 2 a.m. (on school nights) and have to be up by 7:45 a.m.

User Detail :  

Name : Elaine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 14, City : Hong Kong, State : NA Country : Hong Kong, Occupation : Student, 

Lucy-H22474
    Participant
    In the United States, a standard work day starts around 8 a.m., so people who work those hours need to get up early so they can get to work on time. I think the tradition of starting work early began with agriculture. Until a few decades ago, many people in this country were involved in farming. In that industry, people have to take full advantage of daylight hours to get everything done they need to. That means waking up when the sun comes up and going to bed soon after it goes down so you will be well-rested for the next day. There is also the factor of respectability. Traditionally, people who were not respectable would be out late in bars and clubs gambling and drinking. If you were up and out early in the morning, it meant you weren't out causing trouble the night before.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22474, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cynthia31776
    Participant
    Where did you hear that North Americans slept early? Most of my friends (university age, mind you) hang out at clubs until 2 or 3 in the morning if they're out clubbing, and sometimes pull all-nighters. I generally go to bed around midnight and get up at 7 or 8 in the morning.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31776, Gender : F, Race : Asian, but all Canadian!, Age : 21, City : Kingston, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michelle20583
    Participant
    I usually go to sleep at 11 p.m. and wake up at 6 a.m. All my friends do the same. I don't think most Americans go to sleep before 10 p.m. because all the good shows are on from 8-10 p.m. (Primetime)

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle20583, Gender : F, Age : 17, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Andrew
    Participant
    I don't know any grown person who goes to sleep that early and very few who wake up that early. Two hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin said, 'Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise,' but I don't think anyone lives by that anymore. I go to sleep around midnight and get up at 6:30 a.m. (later on weekends). As for your hours, I hope you nap during the day!

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacee27911
    Participant
    I think part of it is size, layout of cities and the state of public transportation. Many cities, like Houston, are geographically spread out, and the public transportation system does not serve suburbs well at all. So, a lot of people drive their own cars. The result is horrible traffic. At one time, I had to leave my house at 6:15 a.m. to get to work by 8. I also suspect that the rural/farming tradition in America plays a role in our early morning orientation.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacee27911, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : TV production, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Flack S.
    Because the cows are already up and waiting to be fed.

User Detail :  

Name : Flack S., City : Last Chance, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Dairy Farmer, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.