To people with disabilities

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Y. Levin
    To people born with a disability: Do you feel you were treated badly by your parents because of your disability? And do you ever hate yourself, your parents or G-d for your situation?

User Detail :  

Name : Y. Levin, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Dale
    I was born 'different' rather than disabled. I have male and female gonads, and I now look male, but with breasts. My parents told me what my body would do and how different it was from other people. They let me decide who I wanted to be. I was female sometimes until my late teens, then I became male. They let me decide the life I would live. They gave me the same responsibilities as themselves and my sister. I sometimes felt despair, but my friends say they felt it, too - about themselves. I never thought to blame anyone for me.

User Detail :  

Name : Dale, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Brisbane, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

P.L.G.
    Participant
    I was born with absent radius syndrome which basically means that my right arm is missing a bone. I have a lot of other related deformities that make me look very different. When I was growing up I had no friends and was in so much emotional pain that I basically had to turn my emotions off for 12 years. I learned to hate. I hate God and my parents and society and doctors. I am learning not to hate. It is hard work.

User Detail :  

Name : P.L.G., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Portales, State : NM Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

E. Henry
    Participant
    I was born deaf, and my parents treated and raised me the same as other people. For that, I am grateful for it, for I had to learn how to fend for myself as I grew older. My mom helped a lot when I needed someone to talk to. I don't recall ever hating myself, but I was mad/pissed off at how ignorant hearing ppl could be. I didn't have a pleasant experience in high school.

User Detail :  

Name : E. Henry, Gender : F, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Steamboat Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

J.R.
    I have been hard of hearing since birth. My parents are loving and never treated me badly because of my condition. They have always been there when I've needed them and worked resolve troubles at school related to my problem. I don't hate myself but often wonder what my life would be like if my hearing was better - I would probably be more outgoing and have more friends and better self-esteem. I don't hate G-d for my situation but sometimes wonder why he was chosen me to carry this burden. I often thank G-d for the quality of my hearing, because I am not at all deaf and have better hearing than all of the hard-of-hearing people I have ever known. When I listen to beautiful music I sometimes say a Jewish prayer called the Shehechiyanu which in English means: 'Blessed art Thou, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has kept us alive and sustained us and enabled us to reach this season'. I try to see the small miracles in life and to thank G-d for them.

User Detail :  

Name : J.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Hard-of-hearing, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 20, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Full Time College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    I was born the only deaf child in a all-hearing family (including extended family). I don't hate my parents, I had alot of love (and spoilings!) from my family. They didn't treat me any less than they did the other family members. I also don't hate God, I'm grateful. I love being Deaf, and being in the Deaf culture. And besides - Deaf is cool! We can talk with our mouths full (Ohh betcha didn't think of that, eh?), talk 'loudly' in a library, across the room with a friend.... ehhh why would I hate that? *GRIN*

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.