Thoughts about the British

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

j21257
    Participant
    It's really hard for me to take a bad guy with a British accent seriously, even though I know that's stupid. I think a lot of Americans think a British accent, even cockney, sounds educated. And I, personally, think a Scottish accent is one of the sexiest things ever.

User Detail :  

Name : j21257, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Healthcare, Social class : Middle class, 

Rina
    Well, I haven't met very many Brits, but I personally think they are like other nationalities: they have their good and their bad. However, you're right, there are certain stereotypes that hold sway, such as the 'posh accents,' and that EVERYONE has tea every single day, and that the British don't demonstrate much emotion. I don't harbor any such stereotypes because I started watching BBC programs. ( :

User Detail :  

Name : Rina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Royal Palm Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Britt28723
    Participant
    No, perhaps some do (kids and adults who have seen mary poppins one too many times) but you forget that som many British movie stars are famous over here. We see them as a regular person (as regualr as a celebrity can be) and dont act shocked when they are not wearing a bowler hat and eating crumpets. I also can say that I am aware of the prevalence of non-whites (indian etc) that live in london, as I have heard how good London's indian food is! But I do think many americans tend to think of England as almost completely white. Probably a layover from their colonial days.

User Detail :  

Name : Britt28723, Gender : F, City : Washington DC, State : WA Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.