The word boo in black relationships

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dorssie M. Jr.
    Participant
    This has bugged me for months: I have heard the word boo used by black women in describing a relationship. Now, I was married to a black woman for 17 years until she passed away, and I thought I was pretty knowledgable, but this word really doesn't make any sense to me. What does it mean?

User Detail :  

Name : Dorssie M. Jr., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 52, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Retired soldier, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Orleanas19983
    Participant
    From what I know of the word, it's simply a cutesy way of saying that someone's your love or "baby."

User Detail :  

Name : Orleanas19983, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Malinda
    Participant
    The term 'boo' is not in reference to a 'relationship', it is a term of endearment (like baby, or honey).

User Detail :  

Name : Malinda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Angee
    Participant
    The word 'Boo' is just a term of affection. It is very similar to being called Baby or Honey. I've haven't heard very many whites use the term but I have heard it a lot. Check out my email ID.

User Detail :  

Name : Angee, Gender : F, Age : 24, City : Clarksville (Ft. Campbell, KY), State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
    In French, 'Beau' means 'handsome'. In the 1800s in France and Louisiana, people began to use it to mean 'suitor', a love interest. People just forgot how to spell it. Check the dictionary on 'beau'.

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher W., Gender : M, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : writer/student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.