The ‘ugly feminist’?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Crystal
    How did the stereotype of 'ugly feminists' get started? Gloria Steinem, Susan Faludi and Naomi Wolf, to name three prominent feminists, are all above-average in looks. As far as non-celebrities are concerned, I and several of my friends call ourselves 'feminists,' and if I say so myself, we're all attractive, well-groomed women. I can't say I know any feminists who match the 'ill-kempt, homely slob' stereotype.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kerry
    I think it has to do with the high population of lesbians in the feminist movement of the '70s. Lesbians are unavailable to men, so the reaction is to say, 'I wouldn't want her, anyway.' That way, he doesn't have to admit she wouldn't want him.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

MyEngland
    Participant
    'Gloria Steinem, Susan Faludi and Naomi Wolf, to name three prominent feminists, are all above-average in looks.' Only a dyke would say that. Question sorted.

User Detail :  

Name : MyEngland, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.