The cover-up in Afghanistan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Penny M.
    Participant
    Why do Afghanistan women have to cover their faces?

User Detail :  

Name : Penny M., Gender : F, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, 

Noel
    Participant
    The Taliban requires this. The Afghan women are being oppressed.

User Detail :  

Name : Noel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 46, City : Fayetteville, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Jane C.
    The Prophet Mohammad said that the believing woman should dress and behave modestly in the presence of the believing man - and that the believing man should dress and behave modestly in the presence of the believing woman. Most of the strictures that the Taliban (and other fundamentalist countries like Saudi Arabia) impose on women are either based on pre-Islamic tribal practices or (such as the burqa) based on laws the wives of the Prophet had to obey, not ordinary Muslim women. Like the anti-choice fundamentalist Christian movement, this has much more to do with men controlling women than it does with religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : Edinburgh, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debra
    Participant
    Jane, you are absolutely correct. Thank you for pointing out the fact that the facial cover is not religiously based. I'm not sure why Noel offered his poor response. At any rate, when we (Americans) observe the treatment of women (and people in general) in other countries, particularly underdeveloped places - let's bear in mind that the America of today was not always this way. It wasn't that long ago that women were the 'property' of their husbands and didn't have the vote. African-Americans were providing free labor and being whipped and hung from trees. However, we were allowed to struggle and evolve as a nation. No one came here and dropped bombs on America because it was not treating all of its citizens humanely.

User Detail :  

Name : Debra, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, 

Michelle-S
    Participant
    In response to Jane C.'s statement, please do not compare Saudi Arabia and Taliban-ruled Afghanistan . Saudi Arabia may be fundamentalist, depending on your definition, but it is definitely not fanatic, which the Taliban appears to be. I am not Arabic and I am not an expert on Islam or the Middle East, but I was raised in Saudi Arabia and learned to respect and appreciate their culture, and most of the Arabic people there were respectful of Western culture. To state that the practice of wearing veils is based on men dominating women is somewhat ethnocentric. We must try to not judge other cultures based on our own values. Women in Saudi Arabia are encouraged to get higher education and pursue careers, and I believe that many of them do not feel oppressed. I have heard that some women prefer to wear veils because it prevents people from judging them based on their appearance.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle-S, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 27, City : Murray, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

omer ali baig
    Participant
    well in short i d say that they r only following the commandment of ALLAH and also that they are guarding their modesty.do u know that the percentage of rape and hiv is almost nil in afghanistan?

User Detail :  

Name : omer ali baig, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 24, City : london, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

duh
    Participant
    gee, maybe because their fanatic society needs to relax, put their guns down and let their women have some damn rights you fucken animal.

User Detail :  

Name : duh, City : new york, State : NY Country : United States, 

Heather
    I'm not sure about covering their faces, but the Bible tells women to cover their heads (hair) because in the Old Testament angels were so turned on by the sight of women's hair that they couldn't control themselves and had sex with the women and created a race of giants. So to prevent angels from screwing the women and having giant babies, women must cover their hair so it won't be seen. I really can't believe there are still people in this world that accept the Bible as fact. Why can't they see that it is made up by men? I don't get it.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 31, City : Cleveland, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Self-employed - Internet, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anthony
    Participant
    They cover themselves for two reasons. One because it is ordered by the creator in all holy books. Two it gives them a sense of liberation to be different and not be molested by every man that sees a nice body and a smile

User Detail :  

Name : Anthony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 34, City : Georgia, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Information Technology, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.