The black ‘lisp’

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Bill B.
    Why do a significant number of black people speak with a sort of affected lisp - not a speech defect, but a purposeful lisp?

User Detail :  

Name : Bill B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 46, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Amanda31515
    Participant
    It's probably because you live in Greensboro. When I stayed in North Carolina for a summer, I noticed that all the people I met seemed to have these little speech quirks;every now and then a word would sound sort of flat or sort of aspirated. I'll let you think about why you only noticed it with black people; but not being from the area, it seemed really widespread to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda31515, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    Maybe this is a regional thing, because I don't know what you're talking about.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.