Tell the truth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Seymour
    Participant
    Is it safe to say that it is very hard for white Americans to talk about racism because they are always considered to be the victimizer? And is it safe to say that it is easier (but not easy)for black Americans to talk about racism because we are still victims? Also, is it easier for us because whites have yet to give any sort of apology for the overt racism of the past three American centuries?

User Detail :  

Name : Seymour, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan-C27314
    Participant
    Did OJ Simpson apologize for killing two white people?

User Detail :  

Name : Dan-C27314, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, 

Jim
    Participant
    Jarrett, I think the short answer is 'yes,' but it goes deeper. White Americans are often fairly outspoken about racism when the venue is non-threatening, such as on the Internet or among themselves, but they don't often deal well with direct confrontation. Their talk happens in several ways: 1) 'I'm not a racist!' Or 2) 'You're damn right I'm a racist!' but not often enough, option 3): 'I try as best I can to uproot the racist attitudes I was taught that are reinforced by the constant subliminal and overt messages of our society. Good intentions are certainly easy enough for people who have the luxury of taking the weekends off from the issue and aren't confronted by it every day. All we can hope is that Anne Frank was right that all people are 'basically good at heart.'

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : poet, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

William
    It's not getting weirded-out; it's frustration. When you talk to black people about race, they like to lump all whites together as the enslavers of blacks. When a white person points out that their ancestors never owned slaves, black people say 'so what, you still have white skin privilege.' It is a no-solution discussion unless we kiss your ass and beg to be forgiven. Maybe we have just gotten weary of it. I feel no need to discuss your problems that I did not create.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamie Dorn
    Personally, I can feel very uncomfortable talking about racism, especially with members of traditionally victimized groups, because I belong to a race generally considered the victimizer. It's something that's hard for me not to take personally; even though I don't subscribe to racist ideologies, I feel as though I myself am being held responsible for the actions of every white person. I know it's unreasonable, but it's simply how I feel, even when my Ghanaian boyfriend starts talking with me about politics or colonization.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie Dorn, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Lincoln, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Christina32042
    Participant
    For the first two, obviously YES. As for the 3rd, we ARE sorry, but how to do a official thing about is such as reparations the government hasn't figured out yet

User Detail :  

Name : Christina32042, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David H.
    Participant
    Jarrett, It is very difficult for me, as a white male, to talk about racism. The only reason it's difficult for me to talk about is because I'm white. For the simple fact that white dudes years ago were the oppressors, I automatically take that position. It's strange because, even tho my three best friends are hispanic, asian, and black, and I date an african american woman, I'm still labeled. As far as the 'apology' goes, I don't have anything to apologize for, because I didn't do anything. I am oppressed for what was done by people that lived years before I was born, think about how that has to feel.

User Detail :  

Name : David H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Banking, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt22028
    Participant
    Everyone is a victim of racism, some more than other. I am white, and I am talking about racism, although some white people are uneasy with the subject, it is probably because they are afraid to ask. Afraid to ask because they aren't sure if asking is offensive. To some people it may be offensive to ask questions, but if you ask, you learn, and when you learn about someone, you are more likely to build a relationship with someone. I don't judge someone because of things they cannot control, frankly, I could care less what color you are, or where you are from. As long as you are a good person, I will probably like you.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22028, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Lakeland, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandy
    Participant
    Interesing topic, well my opinion is as follows: many white people feel unable to discuss racial issues openly, precisely because of the 'victimizer' perception; AND yes, I think black people feel entitled to discuss racism more openly due to their status (historical) as victims. But, I also think most white people do not fully understand the racism issue or know how black people think about said issue. Of course, white people do not want to talk about racism, if they are not informed about it. There are probably a share of black people who are uninformed, as well. The thing is, the lack of honest discussion is making race relations worse. I am white person; NOT descended from slave owners or Southerners, and I am open and honest about my opinions regarding racial issues. I have found this method to be the best way to promote unity among all types of people; no black person has ever expressed offense at one of my statements or questions; and I have real, true friends of many ethnic backgrounds. I wish that all people would just be honest and rational about it; instead of hiding behind political correctness,or confusing their personal emotions with facts. Bless You!

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, German, Norwegian!, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : clerical, student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I did not realize that you were accepting apologies. Moreover, I thought it would take much more than that to heal our two races divisions. But since this dialogue has been opened I would like to apologize: I am sorry for what the pioneers of this country did to natives here... I am sorry for what the plantation owners and slave traders did to the Africans that were brought here... I am sorry for the poor race relations between our cultures today... I am sorry for the need for there to be a civil rights movement... I am sorry that there are really ignorant white people like in the KKK or neo nazis or any other white supremecy group... I don't know what else I can apologize for, but I certainly feel guilty for it and wish that I could change those things. I hope that you accept my apology as sincere and can find it in your heart to forgive me and others whites who feel sincerely bad for what has happend to African Americans in the distant, recent past, and even present day. Chris Baker

User Detail :  

Name : Chris Baker, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 26, City : Summerville, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic Artist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.