Telemarketers and assumptions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Craig
    Could anyone in telemarketing please explain why your scripts insist on asking for my or my gay partner's alleged wife? You would never say, "Oh, Mr. Brown's not there? Could I speak to his gay lover?" Why the presumptuousness?

User Detail :  

Name : Craig, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 

Kerry
    It's because heterosexuality is so much more common. We are what, 10 percent of the population? That leaves 90 percent heterosexual, and when making generalities, you go with the most common. If a child answers the phone, a telemarketer would ask for the daddy, never mind that it could be a divorced home, or one where dad ran off, or died tragically (last week), etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Telemarketers are a presumptuous bunch, and not just about sexual orientation. At my house, for example, they presume I make all the decisions. And, even more amazingly, they presume I want to talk to them at all instead of eat dinner with my family.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.