Teen pregnancy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

May
    Participant
    What would an older person's solution to teen pregnancy be?

User Detail :  

Name : May, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : dyslexic, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lucy22409
    Participant
    I am not really an older person, but my solution to teen pregancy is birth control. If teenagers would use birth control effectively, the teen pregnancy rate would decrease.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22409, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 27, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Enginneer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave
    Participant
    First off, I hope your question is borne of curiosity and not the need of advice. No one person has the answer to this question. There are a lot of opinions out there and mine is just one. Several seconday questions can be added to yours; where is the father? If he is around, is he mature enough to see this through? What financial and spiritual support can he offer? Among other questions. But lets go on the assumption that it is a 16/17-year-old 'couple' who are in love, committed, and are going to do the best they can. The reality is, the most aggressive of 16/17 year olds are limited in the resources they can provide. Therefore, I would say that with the lack of a strong family to help them through this, they are in for a rough ride, a very rough ride both emotionally and financially. If theyre fortunate enough to have a supportive family, I would say that they should finish school and pursue college as mush as their families generosity permits. Make no mistake, the lack of an education is directly proportional to the lack of income. With exceptions of course, but they are just that; exceptions. I recently became a father and I am 33. As much as it is the most wonderful thing to happen to me in my life, it is hard. It demands a lot from you. Certainly more than I had to give when I was 17. But then other people may have more to give.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spiritual - Non Traditional, Age : 33, City : Long Island, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Technical Manager, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

emitchell
    Participant
    Pregnancy in and of itself isn't a problem. It may however create a few problems. Those problems must be dealt with on a case by case basis.

User Detail :  

Name : emitchell, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 21, City : Slippery Rock, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kevin26318
    Participant
    Do you want the baby? Can you afford to care for it? Are you responsible enough to care for it? These are all questions any pregnant woman has to consider. The answers and subsequent options depend on the person.

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin26318, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 21, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Librarians Assistnat, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

k26962
    Participant
    They best way to tackle teen pregancies is with education. There needs to be a huge push for anti-pregnancy propaganda in schools. Students need to be shown the advantages of delaying children---wealth, freedom, greater job satisfaction. At present TV shows like Gilmore Girls are showing a very unrealistic picture of the implications of teen pregnancies. Movie and TV shows that do this should be completely banned as they are very irresponsible. Schools should also work towards removing stigmas from using contraceptives and having abortions.

User Detail :  

Name : k26962, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : educator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

H-Wilson
    Participant
    I believe that if parents were more aware of what their children were doing at certain ages and responded accordingly, there might be a change. Also, parents should give their children condoms as soon as they think they are sexually active.

User Detail :  

Name : H-Wilson, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Flint, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greg21547
    Participant
    My response to teen pregnancy comes in stages. First, I advocate abstinence for both males and females. The human body is a temple in which the Holy Spirit will live if you proclaim your faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God. Fornication, (sex outside marriage) is a sin, and sin defiles the body (temple). Second, if you are not willing to believe in God, I would advocate the use of contraceptives by both the male and female. That way you reduce the risk of accidental pregnancy.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg21547, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 50, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shorty
    Participant
    I was a young mother who had a child at age 15. I was the perfect child in everyone's view, until the day I gave birth. My mother and I have spent many hours discussing what could have been done different in order to prevent the same thing happening again. (I was blessed with a beautiful girl). Some of the things my mom suggested was No. 1, pay attention to your child, be involved in their lives and know what is happening to them on a daily basis. Another important one is "no" just doesn't work anymore. My mom was raised to believed that as long as she said no, I would follow. She wishes that she spent more time discussing why she stated no and just talked about it more. The last is if your child is coming to you to ask for birth control, let them have it. They may already have been having sex or trying to be smart by asking for precautions. Again, saying no and threatening just doesn't work anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Shorty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

M. Coon
    Participant
    There is not enough parental guidance in children's lives. I believe we have it in our heads that if we teach our child about condoms and other protection that we are saying it is OK to have sex. That is not the case. We are trying to protect them from unwanted pregnancies and disease. I would hand my 12-year-old son a condom if I had any idea he was even thinking about having sex.

User Detail :  

Name : M. Coon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, City : Marlette, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Carol S.
    Participant
    I believe in open-minded education on both sex and responsibility. Young people are still afraid to ask their parents, and parents are still reluctant to "go into detail" on the subject of sex. With sex comes responsibility of all degrees. Some schools had a good start when they had teens take the "flour sack" babies home. When my daughter was 15, I borrowed my son's newborn for the weekend. My daughter got to be "mom" from 3 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Monday. It put a heck of a cramp in her movie date and sleep. She is now 38 with three young teenagers of her own and a good husband. The solution to teen pregnancies is avoidance by openness, honesty, understanding, non-judgmental communication, education, compassion and a little creativity.

User Detail :  

Name : Carol S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 57, City : Mountain Home, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : retired, 

Pat
    Participant
    I have two (one, almost) daughters, ages 12 and 14. I make sure I know their friends and their families. I do things with my kids that they enjoy, and talk with them about everything. I spend time with them and their friends. I don't allow them to be alone with boys yet, not because I don't trust them, but because I don't think they have the experience to handle certain situations. Rules are important. I like my kids as people, but I'm their mother first; that's my job. You can't force people to be good parents, but you can stress education in schools, and fine deadbeat parents when their kids are out after curfew running the streets. Young teenagers really need adult supervision until they are able to deal with their changing emotions and sexuality. It's not an easy time. Unfortunately, some teenagers who got pregnant are the same parents who don't make an effort to be parents to their kids.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 41, City : phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jo Willie
    Participant
    There is no one solution. Everyone is different and has different needs to succeed in life. I have found most children who are sexually active are children seeking love and acceptance. However, how children see themselves starts from birth. Parents should encourage and support children to form positive life goals and assist as much as possible to achieve those goals. But they shouldn't do the work for the child. It also helps to encourage the child to develop healthy self-esteem and respect for themselves and others. Older people should not be so critical of inexperienced young minds and behaviors. We are to teach and lead by positive example. Communication is a critical necessity.

User Detail :  

Name : Jo Willie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Apostolic, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa22767
    Participant
    If, by "solution," you mean "how to prevent it," one of the best ways is to have one of those "Get ready baby" programs, where they have to take care of special dolls that cry if they are not cared for properly, which a computer chip in the doll keeps track of. This is one of the most effective ways to convince teenagers to either be careful in their sexual activities or abstain altogether.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22767, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 38, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

manaman
    Participant
    Communication. Education. Birth control. Repeat.

User Detail :  

Name : manaman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : software test engineer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.