Switching genders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Richard T.
    A new employee has been hired to teach at the college where I work. She used to be a male but has either had the required operation to switch genders or is working very hard at looking as though she has. This bothers me not at all. What I can't seem to come to understand is that her partner is a female as well. Why go to all of the effort to cross genders to have a relationship (I don't even know if homosexual relationship is the right word) with someone of the same sex?

User Detail :  

Name : Richard T., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 46, City : London, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kentraco
    Simply stated, there is no correlation between gender orientation and sexual preference.

User Detail :  

Name : Kentraco, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 58, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Water Treatment, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alicia31387
    Participant
    Sexual orientation and gender identification are different things. The former refers to sexual/physical/emotional feelings toward another human being. The later refers to how one sees oneself.

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia31387, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cheryl-H
    Participant
    I saw a really good program on public television last week titled "In the Life" that touched on this idea. The program highlights gay and lesbian issues. One of the people interviewed was a transgendered woman. She described her life as it is in the context of her work environment (fire station captain). She said she had encountered the same question that you are asking. She answered that even though her physical being had transformed, her emotional and psychological attractions had not. She was very blunt in saying that sexual orientation and sexual identity are two completely different, independent things. The program "In the Life" also has an associated web site that, among other things, lists when programs are scheduled to be aired. You may want to check the schedule and see if you can catch this program (January episode) in your viewing area. The address is www.inthelifetv.org.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl-H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, City : New Haven, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

N.J. Smith
    Participant
    Being a lesbian does not mean I wish to be a man. They are two separate issues. A transgendered person, as I understand it, is born with the physical anatomy of the sex opposite from the sex with which he/she identifies him/herself. A transgendered person can be either homo- or heterosexual.

User Detail :  

Name : N.J. Smith, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Butler, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Laborer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.