Surfing for African Americans?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lee H.
    In my experience, surfing doesn't appear to be popular among African Americans, even in hot surf spots like California. Why might that be?

User Detail :  

Name : Lee H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 30, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JAMARA
    Bottom line: the majority of us feel surfing is a white people sport, lots of us don't like water, and for most of us, living life as a black person is adventure enough!

User Detail :  

Name : JAMARA, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : exec asst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Randy
    Surfing isn't as popular among blacks as it is among whites because of access. Not as many blacks live so close to a beach that daily surfing is advantageous. You have to surf every day to be any good, or keep at it if you're not. There are more baseball diamonds and more blacktop where we live—even if we live on Pacific coasts—and more people nudging us toward them.

Surfing seems to be a very nepotistic pastime and sport. Most people I know who surf learned from a parent or sibling who knows the ocean and how to take care of a board. None of the blacks I know who surf learned within their family; they had white friends to inspire them. The people who consider it a 'white boy sport' cause indifferent blacks to reject it, so there is a cycle of non-participation. There are surfing classes, but no one's going to sign up if he's been 'brainwashed' into thinking the sport is not for his race. Kids of all races boogie board and body surf out here, but which kids are going to be 'allowed' (by parents, peers or whomever) to continue into adulthood and possibly take whatever skill they may have to another level?

Surfing can become a way of life, almost religious to those who become good (and not so good) at it - but not to a person who doesn't grow up in a culture that glorifies it.

User Detail :  

Name : Randy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Inglewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Artist/Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bella23338
    Participant
    I think you don't see many blacks surfing because it's not a sport to which many blacks are exposed. Yes, we can watch in on TV like everyone else, but the average American (white, black or other) isn't living in a part of the States where it's warm enough or safe enough to surf. Not to mention those who have never even seen the ocean (some Midwesterners, for example). It's not like the average black teen can just opt to join her high school surfing club as opposed to basketball or softball. If she's from a large city or suburb, surfing is something she maybe will try only once in a lifetime. Much like the way a native of Florida might only take one ski trip in his or her whole life.

User Detail :  

Name : Bella23338, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Tony24183
    Participant
    I had a teach who tried to explain why blacks and whites excelled in different sports. Now, this is not always the case, but appears to be the case frequently. His theory was that it all relates to centuries of physcial development. Blacks obviously come from Africa where most of the travel was on foot. Much of it running. Thus Africans bodies develpoed to assist in walking and running. I don't remember the names of the bones and muscles, but the bodies of African and African-Americans are built to walk and run and jump. The European bodies are not. Who frequently wins marathon races? The development of the African body does not lend itself to swimming or other water sports. Now this doesn't mean a white cannot run and jump or that a black can't swim.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony24183, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 55, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.