Stereotypes about women wanted

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jennifer
    Participant
    What are some common stereotypes about women?

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

T.C.
    Participant
    The only comments I hear consistently about women are those about their driving skills (and women who put on makeup while driving don't help). One of my buddies jokes that whenever he's on the road and encounters a female with poor driving skills: 'Women drivers...no survivors.' Personally, I see no difference overall in the way men and women drive.

User Detail :  

Name : T.C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    Generally, or specifically? Here are several: Women are, in essence, 'the weaker sex,' and for most of these stereotypes, the opposite applies to men, and is a 'positive' stereotype. Woman is always the virgin, the slut or succubus. Women who love sex are 'sluts,' men who love sex are normal (although I think this double standard has gotten less prevalent since the '60s). Girls aren't as good at math or science, and don't have analytical brains. Women are weak and ineffective leaders. Women get hysterical. Women are not career-oriented. All (normal) women must want children, and women who aren't motherly are ostracized and seen as deviant. (Example: the birth mother of Michael Jackson's children is always asked why she's abandoned her children, when in reality, she repeatedly says she was just the surrogate for him.) Women are dependent, controlling and demanding of their partners. Women are fickle. All women are obsessed with their weight. Women talk too much. Women don't speak their mind (or 'don't have a thought in their heads.') Women lose their minds when they get their period. Women lie about their age. Women love to shop. I could go on and on. Some stereotypes have their basis in fact, but to generalize all women as being such is harmful and limiting.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Norman, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emma25395
    Participant
    Don't forget this one: any woman willing to work for a living is too ugly to get a man to pay her bills, while any attractive woman is lazy and just waiting to get her hooks into some guy's wallet.

User Detail :  

Name : Emma25395, Gender : F, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : self made woman, Social class : Upper class, 

Ian21358
    Participant
    They ask questions just so they can be annoyed by the answers!

User Detail :  

Name : Ian21358, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : B/water, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

R30356
    Participant
    We ask questions so that we can know the answers. The answers simply tend to be as ridiculous or moreso than expected - especially when the manner in which they are given is even more exasperating than the answer itself.

User Detail :  

Name : R30356, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Abilene, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jane
    And let's not forget my favorite: Chatty. I've heard this from many men. They tend to think we talk more, but I like to think of it as we COMMUNICATE more effectively.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Legal Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jessica G.
    Participant
    My favourite one is the women who don't speak their mind are dumb, but the ones that do are bitches!

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Greenville, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rina
    Okay, I just thought that I should point out that I've never heard men say or infer ANY of these horrible things! Most of the complaints I've heard men making about women are in regards to women's obsession with a man's income/car. Maybe I should sneak into the men's room.

User Detail :  

Name : Rina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Royal Palm Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

john-c30191
    Participant
    If you communicate MORE effectively, wouldn't you find yourselves needing to talk LESS?

User Detail :  

Name : john-c30191, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : watertown, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : custodian, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

tb
    Participant
    I am an independent woman that goes to work everyday so I can by the things that I want and so I can provide for my children. The comment that being ugly doen't cause someone to end up in the workforce of this world is really oversteping the line. I was taught by my elders that the only way to trule be happy is to have your own. By that I mean, that whatever in life causes you to be happy- do it.

User Detail :  

Name : tb, City : clarksdale, State : MS Country : United States, 

David28745
    Participant
    Here's a few(probably been covered) Women Aren't That Smart. They talk too much(this isn't a stereotype!) They cry over everything. They worry constantly. They shop all the time. They're 'constantly' worried about their looks. They're not that deep. They're always 'testing' men. They can't drive. They don't read that much. They can't cook worth shit. They won't tell their age. They don't like sex. They're not good with computers.

User Detail :  

Name : David28745, City : Columbia, State : MD Country : United States, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.