Southern “hilllbilly” stereotypes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Christy
    Why does it seem that Americans can not overcome the typical 'Southern' stereotype of hillbillies and racial injustice?

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : johnson city, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John S.
    Participant
    I have lived in the South for my entire life, and, in varying degrees, the stereotypes ring true. Some in the South are exact opposites of the stereotype, while some fit the stereotypes with absolute perfection; however, most Southerners only fit with portions of the stereotype.

User Detail :  

Name : John S., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : 75% white, 25% Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Lake Charles, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

rgray28772
    Participant
    There is a large degree of truth to the southern redneck stereotype and the southern black stereotype. I have seen it first hand on many different occasions. Most negative experiences have been due to skin color. There are many in the South who maintain the old practice of segregation. The reality of the situation is the 'have nots' against the 'have nots.' The Third World is alive a well in the south... The rest of the country must get a kick out of it..! All southern students should be required by federal law to attend college in some other part of the world... then come back (if they would...) and begin the hard work needed to change the culture.

User Detail :  

Name : rgray28772, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Wesson, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    ...Because the leftist media promotes them? Seriously, aside from Billary Rodhamovich-Clinton (whom they WORSHIP), when have you EVER seen a person from anywhere even remotely resembling the 'South' presented by the U.S. media as anything other than an ignorant, chaw-chompin' hick, and/or a racist redneck? Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is about the last one I can recall.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Merry B.
    Participant
    How about every one of the smart capable Southern belles on 'Designing Women'? How about hillbilly Jed Clampet that somehow managed to out-fox those big city Hollywood types? How about Luke and Beau Duke, Uncle Jesse, and sweet little Daisy? All of 'em smart as a whip. Sounds to me like you weren't as interested in answering the original question as you were in finding a way to present your opinion that everything offensive is all the fault of Hillary Clinton and the moonbat leftist media.

User Detail :  

Name : Merry B., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Maria
    Participant
    As long as people embrace the stereotypical behavior the stereotype will be validated and persist. For example, I have met white Southerners who practically brag about being ill-educated, spending most of their time drunk or high, and being promiscuous. They do not raise their children with solid values and don't seem to care that they and their their kids are at risk. As for stereotypes of racial injustice, as long as there is a bias in the justice system and human nature, certain "types" may be treated differently.

User Detail :  

Name : Maria, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.