Sloppily-dressed whites

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mandi
    Participant
    Yes, I am offended when I see slovenly dressed white people, on the grounds that being poorly dressed below your ability of grooming and presenting yourself shows a lack of respect and consideration for the people around you.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard-V
    Participant
    Are African Americans offended when they see slovenly dressed white people, on the grounds that being able to dress sloppy is a privilege of a majority class?

User Detail :  

Name : Richard-V, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 41, City : El Cerrito, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    I've scanned my memory bank and have failed to bring up an instance when I've heard another black person comment on the dressing habits of white people in this respect. I didn't know that dressing sloppily was a majority privilege, and consequently, I've often taken advantage of it myself! ____________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    But what does that have to do with being white?

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Natasha
    Participant
    I am not offended by sloppily dressed whites. (They are free to dress that way if they want to) But I know that as a black person who wants respect, dressing sloppily is an indulgence I cannot afford. I work in Washington DC (a conservative town, as my boss describes it) and the couriers around here who ride bikes often have that radical (and sometimes raggedy) stunt-biker look. One of these couriers - a white one - told me that sometimes building managers make them use the back entrances because of how they dress. At that point, it's not about race, it's about decency and professionalism. I'm not sure if African-Americans and other minorities realise that white Americans can't always get away with sloppy dressing just because they're white. The truth is, they can't, nobody can get away with that all the time.

User Detail :  

Name : Natasha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : African-Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Capitol Heights, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : adminstrative receptionist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rick29933
    Participant
    How do you know they aren't poor recent immigrants from Kosovo or somewhere?

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29933, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.