Scientology recruiting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

SR28470
    Participant
    Here in Austin, the Church of Scientology seems to recruit more heavily than most other churches. I often find fliers from them on my car, and members have approached me when I pass their building to invite me to come inside and take a 'free personality test' or watch a movie about their religion. Why is this?
    Original Code RE151. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28470, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, 

Kerry
    They do this all over. I find it a lot in Hollywood, walking down streets like Sunset or Hollywood Boulevard. It's recruiting. They want to tell you how they can help you.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stephen P.
    Participant
    Unlike Christian religions that have had centuries to spread the word of who and what they are, we have had just a scant 50 years to do so, and we have come a long way. We take a modern approach to dissemination: We advertise. We don't go knocking door to door, but we do try to reach people. The story of Scientology goes something like this: Scientology was discovered, it was written down so others could learn it, others learned and used it, they discovered that it worked and they told others and it was passed on. We feel we offer what people need in these times: A way or method to make improvements in their lives. Our zeal to reach people matches the urgency that we feel for saving this planet.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephen P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Scientologist, Age : 33, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Satellite services tech, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gary-C
    Participant
    I may have put something on your car. I am a church staff member in Austin. I do this because I want to give other people a chance to gain the same knowledge I have gained in Scientology. Scientology is very new, and can be practiced without giving it up other religions.

User Detail :  

Name : Gary-C, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Scientologist, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Church staff member, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

PappaJerry
    Participant
    There is much more than a slight suspicion that Scientology is a vast, money making enterprise. It 'sells' many, very expensive services to its members. When an organization is in this kind of business, it must aggresively market its services. Without new members, its overhead will overwhelm its income and it will die. And its leadership would lose income and prestige. Incidentally, much of this marketing activity is carried out by low level, poorly paid, member/employees.

User Detail :  

Name : PappaJerry, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 66, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SR28439
    Participant
    My original question about the Church of Scientology was not posted, but my second, toned down version of it was. Okay--it seems to me that everyone here in Austin is *very* aware of Scientology, if only for the weird famous recruitment practices of that church. Lately men in dark glasses have been rushing up to me to hand me plain white paper bags; then they rush off. The bag is filled with Scientology propaganda. Or I'll pass the church and someone's four year-old son tries to invite me in for a personality test. I am irritated by the endless barrage of flyers, white bags, and strangers approaching me on the street. I know Scientologists are trying to raise awareness, but why do their methods persistently leave a bad taste in my mouth?

User Detail :  

Name : SR28439, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Sam
    http://www.xenu.net shows the hidden face of scientology

User Detail :  

Name : Sam, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : Edinburgh, State : AK Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Karl
    Pretty much cause they're all nuts and they want to recruit as many nuts as they can before someone wakes up and says 'aliens? come on people!'

User Detail :  

Name : Karl, City : Newtownabbey, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Frieda
    Because only the first test is free, of course. Then they tell you a lot of vaguely complimentary things and that you'd benefit from this other test, which only costs.... and on and on. These creeps make a tasty profit on this deal. Do keep in mind that this 'religion' was invented by a science-fiction author!

User Detail :  

Name : Frieda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 42, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.