Same sex marriages: what’s the threat?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Alina F.
    Participant
    I don't understand how people can claim to be personally effected by same sex marriages and not by other, more 'traditional' unions. I am straight and I see myself marrying a man in the future. However, if some girl was to say to me that she wanted to marry another girl, I don't understand how I could claim that would hurt me in any way. Even if it was against my religion, it would be my beliefs and not theirs. Where exactly is the threat?

User Detail :  

Name : Alina F., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Pine Grove, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : pizza maker, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    There are a whole lot of people in the world who think that if everybody doesn't agree with them, and share their exact moralities, the entire social structure of the United States will unravel into 'Godless Communism' or some crap like that. The impetus which makes these busybodies fight so hard to prevent other people from doing anything they themselves find distasteful is the same whether it's a 'good' Christian carrying a 'God Hates Fags' sign at a soldier's funeral, or a PETA-puke e-mailing death threats to a cancer researcher... They are spiteful, hateful, self-righteous shits who think they know better than you or anyone else how you should live your life, and who will commit any atrocity - up to and including murder - to force you to obey them.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica28820
    Participant
    I have been asking the same question for such a long time. When a couple is in love, who else needs to care about it if they don't like it... no one!! I wish more peoplen would open thier mids to the world and how things, evn today are still changing rapidly.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica28820, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Cedar Rapids, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : store associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    Alina: You have hit the nail right on the head. There IS no threat. Just a lot of fear-mongering by some powerful religious figures who want everyone to have to live according to their beliefs. Whether or not society ever recognizes gay marriages across the US, gays are nonetheless getting married in religious ceremonies, some of them are having children and raising those children to be productive members of society just like any straight parents. The threat does not exist. Love and Light

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

GordonR
    Some people say they feel threatened by same-sex marriages because they think God wants them to make sure gays and lesbians never get equal marriage rights. In reality, they aren't stupid enough to really believe the gays are threatening their own marriages; they're just using the "threat to traditional marriage" act to scare people into voting for anti-gay politicians.

User Detail :  

Name : GordonR, City : Salt Lake City, State : UT Country : United States, 

AmyM
    Participant
    I don't get it either. From what I've read I get the impression that ultra-conservative people think they will be judged by God according to the actions of their society as a whole, and therefore they believe they need to control the lives of other people. Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle." -Plato

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

norbertneuman
    Participant
    When will the hatred of difference end?

User Detail :  

Name : norbertneuman, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : mahtomedi, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    It will affect insurance costs when they are all added to spouse benifits. Next step, they will demand that 'legally married' gays deserve the same consideration for adoption as other legally married people. How do you defend M/F marrages getting preferencial treatment? Marrage has always been defined as between a man and a woman. Now that we are dumping the definition how is it fair to not include other non traditional marrages. I see no fair argument agianst polygamy if gay marrage is made legal. Personally I just don't care but there you have it.

User Detail :  

Name : GuyGuyerson, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : boise, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : self employed construction, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

TomS.
    Participant
    Either when hatred ends or when people stop being different. Neither is every going to happen.

User Detail :  

Name : TomS., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.