Rude British Customer Service

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

WendyH
    I had the great pleasure of traveling to Britain recently. While there, I was yelled at by a merchant in Camden Town because I was in a restricted area that wasn't posted. I was ignored by a train conductor when asking a question, and given other such types of customer service in Britain. It really hurt my feelings and I'd like to put it in context as this type of behavior seemed the norm. I am from New Mexico and have traveled around the country and to Mexico and haven't encountered this before.

User Detail :  

Name : WendyH, Race : white w/ a farming and multicultural family, Religion : Gnostic etc, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Social Services, 

Sam
    This is not uncommon at all in other countries. I agree with you that it is rude but etiquette rules regarding rudeness are not same across the world. E.g. holding the door open is polite here in the USA. People in most other countries just don't care. In fact they get surprised when someone is holding the door open for the next person. They think why to waste time in holding the door open? I can open the door and so everyone can. On the flip side when cop addresses a driver, "Sir" while giving him a ticket is quite sarcastic.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam, City : Lewisville, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.