Rich people: why did you say that?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bella23326
    Participant
    To people who are wealthy: Have you ever deliberately made an insulting comment to someone you knew was not as affluent as you? I mean, have you ever called someone 'trash' or 'ghetto' or 'Bama' or made some other remark about their lack of money? If you have, why did you say it?

User Detail :  

Name : Bella23326, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Amanda H.
    Participant
    I grew up going to country clubs and charm school and all that high society bullsh--. I've heard many times what you are referring to. I don't want to sound like one of them, but I think it's a class seperation thing. Those with money are raised to to think they are better than those without. 'It's called having standards, dear' as my Grandmother says. Personally, I think that what you are born to is not your fault. It doesn't seem right to make fun of a child in a family with no money...but what about their parents? Do they try to better themselves, like through education or furthering their skills or just saving their money to live in a better neighborhood? I see so many 'poor' people who scrap together enough money just to buy cigarettes, but they don't bother to buy lysol and clean their house. I think they are the trashy ones.

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 23, City : baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Mom, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    i wouldn't ever call anyone trash or make any remark about them being poor. having been in that position, i know what it's like. my parents raised me better, but not all parents are like mine.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeanine Flynn
    Participant
    Sometimes people can be insensitive about the experiences of others. I have made the 'ghetto' or 'trash' comment about someones appearance, or actions. I spoke without thinking. People sometimes take 'things' for granted. I especially, being a person of color, should realize that people have 'different' enviornments and no one is better than the other. I don't speak before thinking anymore. Especially about things I have no experience with. Sorry.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeanine Flynn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : African american/Native american Cherokee, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Honolulu, State : HI Country : United States, Occupation : surgical first assistant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Elle
    Participant
    Actually, being poor does not make someone trash. What makes someone trash is their attitude and how they present themselves. I know plenty of people without money that are very respectable, nice people. I know people with plenty of money that aught to be fixed so they don't create more of them. The type of person that is poor that I would call trash is someone who buys drugs with their food stamps or spends their last dime getting themselves clothes, new nails, etc. when their kids need food and books. And don't try to tell me this stuff doesn't happen, because I've seen it first hand.

User Detail :  

Name : Elle, Gender : F, Race : caucasian american, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Dothan, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Instructional designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Camille19209
    Participant
    One time, when I was in the school marching band, a guy's shoe sole, which had been peeling, came off. I jokingly asked him if he got his shoes from Payless, and one of my friends at the time said, 'Hey, I shop at Payless!' Because I was aware of her financial situation (divorce in the family, deadbeat dad, etc.), I felt pretty dumb for saying that. Why I said it, I don't know; I guess it was just another case of foot-in-mouth disease, or something.

User Detail :  

Name : Camille19209, Gender : F, Age : 18, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, 

Prefer-not-to-say
    Participant
    Well, yeah, the rich are conceited. Old money tends to be more closed-off, racist and concerned with social status and upbringing, and is more likely to refer to such things. I think it's just a side effect of growing up wealthy, with a 'silver spoon' in your mouth, 'trust fund kid', etc. They're just 30- to 50-year-old spoiled brats who hold themselves in greater regard than anybody else. New money tends to be a little more accepting because they had poorer upbringings.

User Detail :  

Name : Prefer-not-to-say, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Palm Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper class, 

Kade-S26974
    Participant
    No, I cannot recall having ever made an insulting comment toward somoene who wasn't as financially well-off. Many of my closest friends are on the poorer side of things. I love them for who they are, not for how much money they have. When I go out to eat with my closest friends, we all help out anyone who's short on cash. I don't care if I end up paying the most; I'm not about to let a friend go hungry!

User Detail :  

Name : Kade-S26974, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : Jersy City, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

David
    Participant
    I couldn't disagree more. It's new money that's more likely to be conceited and a pain in the ass to be around.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 49, City : McLean, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Investments, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.