Relationships and being disabled

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Janine
    Is it difficult for people with disabilities to have relationships?

User Detail :  

Name : Janine, Gender : F, City : Melbourne, State : CT Country : Australia, 

Stacey27918
    Participant
    I think it's hard to make a blanket statement like that -- it would totally depend on the individual person, as well as somewhat on the type of disability they had.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey27918, City : Durham, State : NH Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Debbie J.
    Participant
    Any relationship requires flexibility from both parties involved. Disability of one or both parties is merely another factor which people might or might not be willing to deal with. When each party deals intelligently with that undeniable factor, the relationship works. The refusal of either or both parties to deal with that reality is often the cause of abuse in a relationship. Three examples come to mind: 1) Able bodied partners often deny a disabled person something they need to deal with their condition, such as medical support; 2) a disabled partner sometimes does more than what is good for them to please a demanding able-bodied partner; and 3) a disabled partner can overuse the 'pity' factor to control an able-bodied partner, which is just as abusive as the other situations.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbie J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Lupus, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 61, City : Arizona City, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Columnist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Mark Ginzo
    Participant
    I don't know if you would consider my condition a 'disability'. I am on hemodialysis and have to be hooked up to a machine for 4 1/2 hours three times a week. Often I am too weak right after treatment to stay awake. Sometimes I can barely walk. Other times I am just fine and as normal as someone without any health issues. I know it has been difficult for my wife since I cannot work. She has also had to spend time helping me and being with me while I spent days and weeks in the hospital. yes, it is difficult and it take a very special partner to put up with someone who has disabilities.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark Ginzo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 36, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : finance, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle
    Participant
    I have been dating a disabled man for about a year and a half. He was injured on the job about five years ago. I think it is especially hard for people who were not born disabled to have intimate relationships because they are not used to being the way they are. He will often say that he wishes we could do something or go somewhere that he could before. It's challenging because he cannot share with me the things he once loved. But, for the most part, our relationship is like any other that I have been in.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Bloomington, State : IL Country : United States, 

Monica
    Participant
    I believe that it really depends on what kind of disability you are being faced with. Most people are to ignorant to date a person with a disability because they would be embarrassed. if its something thats not really a big deal, or something in which its not very noticible, its not hard. instead of hearing your girlfriend complain about a bad hair day, she might complain that the tv is not loud enough (if she has hearing loss) or that she cant read the signs (if she has sight problems. if it is something more drastic, i believe it would be more difficult because not everyone would accept a disabled person in thier family just as a caucasian family may not accept an african american to date thier son.

User Detail :  

Name : Monica, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : LA, State : CA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

elinaya
    Participant
    It depends on the disability and the relationship. I have a wonderfull relationshipship with my son. I am a great mother to him, but on the other hand I have a less than perfect relationship with my husbaund. We have a wonderfull intelectual relationship, but a very limited physical one.sorry for the typos

User Detail :  

Name : elinaya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : spinal cord injury, Race : Alaska Native, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 37, City : cairo, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Glen21701
    Participant
    I have a sight problem and went to a school and college especially for people like me. Through that I got to know many people with disabilities. It is my experience that the answer to your question is definitely yes. They can have relationships with other disabled people or with able-bodied people. A friend of mine who is going blind has just got married to a woman with no disabilities, and they get on great. In short, disability should not be a barrier in any relationship; it's what's inside (the personality) that counts.

User Detail :  

Name : Glen21701, Gender : M, Disability : Partially sighted, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Exeter, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, 
    It is with the heart and soul that one loves. Disabled people have no more difficulties than 'abled' people. We have nothing inhibiting our heart and soul, just challenges facing our minds and bodies which make our hearts and souls stronger for those who dare to discover.

User Detail :  

Name : Hosanna Nelson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Too many to list, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Manhattan, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.