Red-haired and red-faced?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Marksam
    Participant
    Why is it that they say that people with red hair have a temper?

User Detail :  

Name : Marksam, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Rhyl, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Counselor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

BB23289
    Participant
    I doubt anyone really knows why this myth started, but I do wonder if it has something to do with red-headed Vikings. I guess it is possible that there is genetic linkage between red hair and a bad temper, but I have a feeling it's more of a self-fulfilling prophecy. My grandmother still gets away with temper tantrums by blaming it on her 'coloring' - even though it now comes out of a bottle!

User Detail :  

Name : BB23289, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Edinburgh, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : PhD Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vicci
    Speaking as a red-haired woman, this reputation has followed me on and off for most of my life. My 'temper' has nothing to do with the color of my hair. The contributing factors are the same as they are for everyone else, i.e. many and varied. I will confess that I have, in the past, attempted to use it to 'excuse' my behavior but have learned not to do that because it can backfire. How? If I am really angry about something I might not be listened to because it's just 'an obvious reaction from a redhead - what can you expect?' - a stereotype that red-heads themselves risk conforming to.

User Detail :  

Name : Vicci, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Southampton, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Senior Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

H21392
    Participant
    I had a school teacher who picked on me severely because she said she KNEW i had a bad temper because I have red hair. Actually I'm one of the calmest people I know, although I have noticed that staying calm when someone wants an argument with you does annoy people greatly. I'd be interested if anyone does know if there is an historical context for this stereotype?!

User Detail :  

Name : H21392, Age : 24, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Jahny
    I understand that many Irish people have red hair. Irish people have long been stereotyped as violently tempered. Perhaps there's a relation?

User Detail :  

Name : Jahny, City : Chestnut Ridge, State : NY Country : United States, 

Jess30760
    Participant
    i find that being a red head, people are prejudiced against me and they treat me differently, and not in a good way. This pisses me off, and i let them know that, and they don't like it. So that makes me the bad guy, in their eyes. Plain truth. nearly all of society doesn't like a red head. more so men, than women.

User Detail :  

Name : Jess30760, Gender : Male, Age : 40, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.