Reasons to not go under the knife

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Stephanie G.
    Participant
    Is there any culture or ethnic group that does not allow or condone the use of surgical procedures in response to a medical issue?

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 28, City : Eau Claire, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TEH
    Participant
    I know this is not related to surgery, but I thought it was relevant: Jehovah's Witnesses believe they should not receive blood products. Often they are looked at by the medical community as making a bad decision when refusing to allow a family member, particularly young children, to receive lifesaving blood transfusions. Another tough situation is when dealing with members of other cultures that hold physicians up so highly that they allow them to have surgery without questioning the doctor because that would be unheard of. I had a patient who emigrated from Mexico. Upon assessment, I noticed a large scar on his belly. When asked what this was from, he said surgery. I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but I think they are two beneficial examples of how culture does affect health care.

User Detail :  

Name : TEH, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Independence, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Nursing Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shea
    Participant
    Jehovah's Witnesses's faith opposes any movement of blood from one person to another. Usually when someone under goes a surgical procedure, they receive a blood transfusion, which Joehovah's aren't allowed. Even if it means it will save their lives.

User Detail :  

Name : Shea, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Lowell, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Skip Tracer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Lanny-Lucas
    Participant
    I know that there is a Christian group that does not allow the use of doctors or the medical profession. They belive that God will heal through faith and prayer. They even ask their childred to leave class when health is taught. I had a girl in my high school that followed this religion. She was not real open to talking about it, but she did say that they were not allowed to see doctors.

User Detail :  

Name : Lanny-Lucas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Guard and student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

pete
    Participant
    among some native indigenous peoples...specifically my people/tribe..we believe that one should go into the afterlife w/ all body parts intact...we believe that if one loses a body part in this world, that is the way we will be in the afterlife...for example, i have had lens-replacement eye surgury to remove cataracts...although it was necessary to preserve my eyesight here...i know that in the other world i will have no eyes...but...i wont need them over there anyway...heheh...

User Detail :  

Name : pete, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Native American, Age : 50, City : Parshall, State : ND Country : United States, Occupation : communications, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    I don't know a whole lot about the Christian Scientists, but I don't think they advocate it. You might look them up on the internet.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.