Real women vs. models

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Participant
    I don't think it's any coincidence that anorexia primarily affects young, Western white women - the main target of magazine and television advertising.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kimberlee
    To people of both genders and different races: Do you agree that teenage girls feel pressured about how they should dress and what their bodies should look like, because of models in magazine and/or television advertisments?

User Detail :  

Name : Kimberlee, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, 

Stacey
    Participant
    I agree especially among young white females. But studies have shown that weight is less of a problem among African-American teenagers, and I think it's because, to me, black magazines project more positive and realistic images of the black female.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 27, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jeremy R.
    Participant
    I believe teenagers are pressured by not only magazines and television, but also by their friends. This is not fair for lower-class students who attend the same schools as upper-middle clas or higher-class students because they can't afford the clothes and other things rich kids can afford.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Brain cancer, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Springville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Disabled, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emily
    Participant
    I believe the situation and class in which a teenager finds herself/himself is the most influential factor in being affected by magazine ads. When I was in high school, none of my friends were plagued by serious disorders such as anorexia or bulemia, and they all read magazines and watched ads. I think the group one belongs to as a teenager contributes the most to any pressure one might feel, since certain cliques aim for popularity through fashion, and others have more down-to-earth goals such as hanging out. The influence of much more intimate contacts are bound to be more powerful than that of distant and impersonal pictures that cannot reject and expel you from a social group.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : Escondido, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Carll B.
    Participant
    yes most girls are influenced highly by the (skinnyass)models in mags. Do not do this! It can only cause problems and here is the key. Me for example loves nice fat butts. Just like the black guys do . Not pigs but nice built girls like Selina, Jennifer Lopez etc... If you have some unique sexually stimulating body part u are way ahead of (the models). They only look good to other women. Not most men!

User Detail :  

Name : Carll B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Electrician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

John K.
    Participant
    I believe the media influences dress and body image to a certain extent, but it would be a mistake to assume this is true only for young women. Young men are held to a standard as well, even if it is not as obvious. When was the last time your typical male teen with spotty complexion and average muscle tone was portrayed as popular and desirable by young women? The blade cuts both ways.

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 26, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CP19387
    Participant
    It's not just teenage girls who are being pressured into looking a certain way; it is all women. Advertising constantly sends out the message 'you must be thin, you must have a flawless body, you must be relatively tall, you must have breasts that are neither too small nor too large, etc.' Older women are told that they must 'cover up' their gray hair and apply expensive creams against wrinkles. All women are being given the message that they must look like the 'ideal,' like top models, or else they don't measure up. Needless to say, this greatly affects their self-esteem.

User Detail :  

Name : CP19387, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Carll B.
    Participant
    Yes, I'd say most girls are influenced highly by the (skinny-ass) models in mags. Do not do this! It can only cause problems, and here is the key: I, for example, love nice, fat butts, just like the black guys do. Not pigs, but nice built girls like Selina, Jennifer Lopez, etc. If you have some unique, sexually stimulating body part, you are way ahead of (the models). They only look good to other women - not most men!

User Detail :  

Name : Carll B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Electrician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Carll B.
    Participant
    Yes, most girls are influenced highly by the (skinny) models in magazines. Do not do this! It can only cause problems, and here is the key: I, for example, love nice, fat butts - just like the black guys do. Not pigs but nice, built girls like Selina, Jennifer Lopez, etc. If you have some unique, sexually stimulating body part, you are way ahead of (the models). They only look good to other women - not most men.

User Detail :  

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.