Rainbow stickers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kinsey
    I am well aware of the sticker culture among gay/lesbian/whomever (i.e.: Rainbow for gay/lesbian, earth tones for bears, and black/blue with a red heart for SM/leather peeps). Here is my question: The one thing that constantly puzzles me is when people affix their badge of pride to their personal mode of transportation either upside-down or backward (i.e.: instead of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet from top to bottom or left to right, some place them in the opposite order). Why is this?

On a side note: Although I am proud to be gay, I am not one who would purposefully affix a target to my vehicle for vandalization. And while it is somewhat a game we play when on a road trip to say, hey there is a friend of Dorothy and pass them just to see if they are cute, I am not necessarily keen on advertising to strangers about my personal life, just as I would want the same from others.

User Detail :  

Name : Kinsey, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Business Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Arby
    Participant
    It was only after many years of seeing rainbow flags on vehicles that I was informed that there was a right side up and a wrong side up to them.. Either I never noticed that they were usually purple-side down or these rules did not start being enforced until more recently. When I purchased a rainbow flag for the inside of my car's rear window, I took great care to ensure that I installed it purple side down--only to realize when I closed the hatchback that what had been the bottom moments before was now the top.

User Detail :  

Name : Arby, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 41, City : Atlantic City, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : computer programmer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sue
    Participant
    I am confessing my ignorance...please explain to me about the earth tone for bears reference.

User Detail :  

Name : Sue, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 48, City : Ft .Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : burned-out nurse, 

Rhett
    I have also had that question,and where i am from, we use to symbolize, lesbians from gay men. Placing a sticker left to right (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) is for a gay man, and right to left (Purple, Blue, Green, yellow, Orange, Red) is for a lesbian, I may be wrong, but here it is noticed as a form of segregation. To be able to tell who is who!

User Detail :  

Name : Rhett, Gender : M, Age : 18, City : Burnsville, State : MN Country : United States, 

Patrick Kellogg
    Participant
    Another gay guy here with a rainbow sticker on my car. I like it because I think it promote visibilty and awareness in the world that gay people are out there. But don't expect *anything* to happen because of the sticker. No vandalism, and I've never had someone approach me about it in a parking lot. Except for 'speeder-uppers' like you mentioned, I've never gotten any dates or phone numbers because of it. Sigh

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Kellogg, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Self-unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.