Racial divide at first job

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Anson Young
    Participant
    I think that both White and Black people have lower expectations of Blacks. I further think that racial preferences perpetuate those opinions. Even supporters of affirmative action show their true opinions by dismissing a Clarence Thomas or a Ward Connerly as a 'token' or an 'affirmative action baby.' I think you can win respect by perseverence, respecting yourself, and by not choosing the role of victim. You have very little control over other peoples' attitudes, but a great deal of control over your own attitude. Show them what you're made of! Good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Anson Young, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 65, City : Palm Harbor, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Roberta G.
    Honey, are you sure it's because you're BLACK that you're being treated this way? It might instead be because you're FEMALE. Over the years, I've worked with, and waited on, people of literally every possible description. And I've noticed--repeatedly--that female employees are often treated with less respect than male employees, especially if they are in low-paid positions. (If you don't believe this, just ask any female salesclerk how often she gets snapped at, and then ask the male salesclerks in the same store!) I'm NOT saying you should tolerate mistreatment based on gender, only that that might be the reason you're experiencing it. Having said that, I must reiterate what Markus said. I'm afraid the most likely explanation of all, given your age, and the fact that this is your FIRST job, is that you are perceiving problems where 1) none really exist 2) they are of your own making, and you don't realize it. I know from personal experience that it's very easy to feel persecuted, especially if your self-esteem is low. (If some of your co-workers are going out to lunch, and don't invite you to come, it might not occur to you that they had very private things to discuss or that they simply didn't think you would be interested, etc.) Learning how to handle people is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL in ANY walk of life People who can't get along with others aren't going to get anywhere, no matter how smart or talented they might be. I'd like to recommend a book to you: HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE, by Dale Carnegie, I believe. If you're certain that you have a legitimate complaint, you'll have to decide how to handle it. The suggestions given you by other posters were excellent. Whatever you choose, Honey, in the long run, you're going to be okay, and God bless you :)

User Detail :  

Name : Roberta G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 41, City : Jackson, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jane-r
    Participant
    First of all, I would agree somewhat with Marcus N., but don't overlook the gender aspect of this situation. I'm 50 years old, and when I was your age starting out in my profession, I realized even after training, and elevating my skills equal to or above my male peers, I was still treated like a lower level employee. I realized I was acting too much like a doormat,trying to please and make people like me instead of rising to a professional level. I know things are better now, but these issues still exist. If I had things to do over, I would take an assertiveness training class. It can't hurt. Also I agree that hard work is not always rewarded. It may not be in your nature, but make sure the powers that be know when you've gone above and beyond. Don't waste your time with people that aren't willing to appreciate you.Even though you're young, your time is valuable.Hope this helps. Good Luck

User Detail :  

Name : jane-r, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Edie
    Participant
    Do you both have the same supervisor? Different supervisors treat people differently. So if you both have different supervisors, that could be the reason. Perhaps you could have your supervisor changed. If you have the same supervisor - then talk to him/her. Better to face it head on then be unhappy or feel like your being discriminated against. Talk to your HR person, if you have one. They can help you with the discussion.

User Detail :  

Name : Edie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 59, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Human Resources, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D31845
    Participant
    If I were in your position I would be more concerned if they hiried another black person. It seems that many blacks tend to shy away from the idea that many companys are required to practice afirmitive action yet blacks are more than willing to take full advantige of its benifits at leasure. You should calm down and know that without you, your company might not meet their quota for minoritys and could face prosicution for not hiring blacks. On the other hand, you could be offinded that your company is only holding on to you because of your racial status and not your intelligence.

User Detail :  

Name : D31845, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Washington DC, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

tore-bolhøj
    Participant
    To me, it sounds like the difference in the way you two are being treated doesn't automatically have to be because you are african-american.. I mean, there are hundreds of other things people are prejudicial about. 1: You are a woman, and he's a man 2: Maybe it isn't because they dislike YOU, maybe it's because HE is attracting all the attention (by being more outspoken, less humble, or a weasly sycophant) 3: In bad workplaces, as in school, one person is sometimes chosen as a scapegoat, 'nerd' and general victim of bullying. Perhaps someone decided you seemed vurnerable and would fit into this category? My advice? well, first of all, don't let them make you think you deserve to be treated badly. You aren't treating them badly, so you should not be treated badly by them. (I know, thinking like this is easier said than done) I think the best way to go is to outshine the white bloke -show that you ARE skilled and full of initiative. Men are slow to begin respecting people designated as 'low' in the pecking order.. but when earned, combined with the knowlege that you aren't just a submissive secretary, that respect lasts. Of course, the bosses may just be utter narrow-minded morons, in which case you shouldn't waste your time in this job good luck!

User Detail :  

Name : tore-bolhøj, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : ocd, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : næstvde, State : NA Country : Denmark, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Lauren
    Maybe it's not about your race, it could be your gender. I worked in this office and all of the women of Hispanic, European, Asian and African backgrounds were treated terribly and treated as if we were all ignorant. While the men of the same races were payed more, treated better and were considered never wrong (even though on numerous occasions they served minors alcohol and slept with the franchisees teenagers).

User Detail :  

Name : Lauren, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Luca
    Participant
    First, congrats on finishing your degree with honors! I think any investment in your education, especially a double MBA, will pay off in many ways including financially in the future. I think the issue you're having at work has more to do with being a young woman than a young African-American woman. I am similar in age and have been working in a professional environment in my field for four years, and have noticed that people often underestimate what young female professionals are capable of. Older employees, even more mature females in the office, seem to take joy in talking down to the under 30 set. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is just let it roll off your back and mantain your self confidence. Older coworkers are intimidated by young blood and men can be sexist in a competitive environment where their jobs and 'manhood' are at stake. In any event, don't be discouraged by coworkers who seem caustic or blatantly rude. Believe in yourself and your capabilities, and definitely pursue a higher degree! Best of luck...And know that one day you'll have that coveted corner office.

User Detail :  

Name : Luca, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Lauderdale Lakes, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Real Estate, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Robert
    Participant
    Honey, As harsh as it may be, it may not be the color of your skin, but the gender of your body. Depending on the industry and your specific industry knoweldge you may be treated this way beacuase of your gender. In manufacturing, construction and supply chain/distribution there still is a significant guy's club mentality. I suspect that avionics and other engineering heavy professions have similar issues. In my current engagement an asian female of unknown religion and orientation and a caucasian male of similar ambiquity are working with me. the female has significant industry expertise although she is junior to and has less academic experience than the male, she is my go to resource. The male while senior to and 'better' trained has no industry experience. I have him dealing with the administrative/secritarial aspects of the engagement, while the more junior female is working directly with the client and operating in a lead role. I can imagine that in the reverse the female could feel discriminated against. - Take a risk, ask your manager about it tactfully.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : no body's business, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mere Christian, Age : 42, City : Johnston, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    by being both female and African American. There are a lot of people out there still under the illusions that most women and people of color got into college, got the good job, the promotion, etc.etc. simply because of 'affirmative action'. They see your gender and your skin color and assume that you probably aren't as qualified as the white guy. That you probably only got into college because you're black. You only got the job because they needed to shiney up their diversity credentials... This may not be the right explaination. The other posters may be correct on any of their guesses. But as a woman in a mostly male-dominated technical feild, I know the dismissive glance, the unspoken assumption that somehow I slept my way through college, or simply the feeling of disrespect engendered by work assignments. Just shrug, do better work than the guys and eventually they'll realize what a gem they have. My company did...eventually.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.