Racial divide at first job

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author

AL LEVY
    Participant
    Honey, I don't think I even have to answer this question but for the sake of this forum I will. You know that it is common knowledge in the black community that you have to work twice as hard as your white counterparts to even measure up. You are equally if not better qualified than your competition and yet, he is enjoying the benefits that the job/position affords. It's not about qualifications in this case it's about your skin color (period). You should question this and not stand for it. The longer you take it the more they will dish out. Stand up for what you want and if you can't get it with this company, move on. They are obviously more concerned with keeping their own happy than placing the most qualified 'individual' in the position. Get your MBA and take your education and knowledge as far as you can. They can't deny you that.

User Detail :  

Name : AL LEVY, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 33, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

tim
    Participant
    That's not that tough,first it's all in the way you present yourself where i work.If you walk through this world with confidence,then people notice you. Walk in with marks on you in your own head then your losing the first step. Race is easy to control by how you control yourself, plus if your looking for reasons to fail then you will find them any where in life. Your doing the right things,just maybe this guy has a better personality, so people respond to that,look at your self and always better what you did the day before. White people as a whole were'nt taught that they are being put down, so they don't look for it,but they are and just don't notice it. Seek and you will find.

User Detail :  

Name : tim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 43, City : arlington, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : business manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

MickeyP
    Participant
    Dear Honey, Regarding your concern about your first job out of college... congrats and welcome to the REAL WORLD!: ) I just wanted to tell you that even white people in white offices get 'discriminated' against, even if they do have schooling and a high G.P.A. Finally, at 40, I think I can give a bit of advice about this. The true test of a person is how you react to bad situations or demanding people (such as your boss.) Your parents gave you only half of the 'success' equation because while education and hard work help, building a good rapor w/ your co-workers and boss (i.e... asking them questions about their interests and actually taking the time out to remember them... perhaps even copying their mannerisms and attitudes !!)is much more important if you want to keep your job. People forget that colleges are also businesses and there to make money, so pushing that idea that you have to get a degree to get a good job is important to them. Truth is, strong companies are built by teams of people that care about each other. Instead of feeling discriminated against, (this feeling probably shows on your face without you knowing it)take the time to study this other new employee, to see what he does to get positive feedback. Perhaps he has good ties already to some people who work there... perhaps he is an extremely good communicator. If you are the unknown there, be it black or white, of course people are going to test you, whether you had good grades or not. You can throw them off by asking them questions about themselves... their hobbies, children, etc. It's difficult being from different backgrounds, but I bet you can find some common ground.. even if it's just a silly joke.. with your manager. If you aren't good at communicating with people, then no G.P.A. or superhuman feat is going to move you up the success ladder, and at your age you still have time to take communication and speech courses and social studies to help you master the fine art of getting what you want in this crazy, complicated world!

User Detail :  

Name : MickeyP, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 

Tabitha
    Participant
    I can understand your concern, but there is another aspect of this situation that you may have overlooked. Please remember that we live in a very male-dominated society. More often than not, sexism is a larger issue than racism when it comes to equality in the workforce. Thankfully enough, at least the man you are speaking of has about the same amount of education that you do. How would you feel if the only education that he had acquired was a high school degree while you had already graduated college? That is actually the situation that I am in at the present time. I am being paid less than a younger caucasian man, although I am the one with the degree and experience. So you have to identify every aspect of the situation, it may not just be your ethnicity. But keep your head up, because if you remain positive, things will work out for the best.

User Detail :  

Name : Tabitha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Vietnamese, Age : 25, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I am just curious and this is my first time at this site. Are you sure this racial or is it maybe gender based? As a female in a man's world I see alot of gender based bias.

User Detail :  

Name : Wanda Englebert, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Age : 53, City : Clearwater, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Estimator for wrecked auto's, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Me of Little Faith
    Participant
    A LOT of kids coming out of college think that they should be immediately running projects and having major responsibility. The truth is we all had to pay our dues when we graduated and ALL felt like we were not given challenging assignments. My suggestion, after many years shepherding recent grads through the ranks: First and foremost, you must work your butt off and be positive even when you absolutely do not feel positive. Nobody likes a slacker with an attitude. Second, do not complain about lack of good assignments or ANYTHING ELSE to coworkers. If you think you are being underutilized, tell your boss. Tell your boss what you have in mind for yourself assignment wise. Be specific. Don't just go in and whine. If you do these things and still get no results, seek employment elsewhere. During the interview say with conviction that you want responsibility and to prove it you want pay tied to performance. Everyone has an education these days. You set yourself apart by coming thru in the clutch, being tireless and finding something valuable to specialize in. If an MBA is required for promotion, then plan ahead and get it WHILE you continue to work. If it is not required, I would think long and hard before sinking the money there. BTW, everyone is a little shellshocked when they enter into the real world. Simple things young folks sometimes screw up: Don't open your mouth before thinking really hard about what you are going to say and what the possible ramifications will be. Work your rear off, specialize and do not walk around with a giant chip on your shoulder daring someone to knock it off. One last thing... I know this is going to sound rude, but sometimes people are not as good as they imagine themselves being. Get a review under your belt and if it is not glowing, take a good hard loo in the mirror. Not the best way to end but... Good luck!

User Detail :  

Name : Me of Little Faith, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Olympic Peninsula, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Done working!, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

mtm
    Participant
    Your comment that many of your tasks are 'almost secretarial' tells me that you're not just dealing with a race issue but also a gender issue. You need to have a strong business attitude, avoid stereotypical female tasks (i.e. arranging parties, making coffee, etc.), dress professionally, and, I hate to say this, be 'one of the guys' and try to be accepted as more of an equal. Good luck and don't ever let them stop you or make you feel lessor than them.

User Detail :  

Name : mtm, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 44, City : northville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : geek, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sarah
    Naturally, it may well be that much of this discrimination is racially motivated. But you failed to mention the status of other minorities in your workplace, so it's hard to be certain. I bring this up because I went through an almost identical situation myself, but I'm white. I'm also female. So are you... sometimes it isn't color, sometimes it's gender. And in your case, it's probably a combination of both. Anyhow, sis, good luck, and don't let the bastards get you down. They really win when their ill-treatment starts to brainwash you into believing that their actions are acceptable.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

W. Jones
    Been there. I agree that you should document discrimination, but also that you should step back and assess the situation. Are race and gender the only explinations? Or is this guy a better networker? If so, take notes. Even if race or gender is to blame, defy stereotypes the others might hold and let them know, in a positive way, you are ready for more. Network. Volunteer for upcoming projects or offer to assist and learn. A lower-level position on a team of heavy-hitters gives you great experience and connections. Also, never look down on the type of work you are doing now. The best managers know the worth of the many jobs it takes to keep a company running. Some paid thier dues in these positions and have no pity on you having to do the same.

User Detail :  

Name : W. Jones, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : communications, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anne T.
    Participant
    I have been a young woman trying to prove myself at a new job. However, I am white, and I have never dealt with racism in the work place. I know it happens, and that it is real. You have one more obstacle than I did, and I will not presume to know just how that obstacle measures up to being young, and to being a woman. If you are successfully obtaining a double MBA, then you are you are smart enough, and you are driven enough. It is true, what Dorcas said, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Finish your education and charge ahead. Since I have not had your exact circumstances, I don't have the exact formula for success that you need, but I do know the formula for failure is quitting.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 34, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kate
    As a caucasion female I have also experienced similar situations while working in a primarily male environment. While I'm not questioning your claim of racial divide, you may find that race isn't the issue, or you may be facing the 'double whammy'. Keep on keepin' on!

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50, City : Paris, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Telecommunications, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    That business and the people there are being stupid as well as short-sighted. (any violating any number of laws and regulations. In all the companies I have worked for, while there was always office politics, I don't think it was ever racial politics. I have been a manager for almost 20 years, and all I care about, and the companies I have worked for care about is talent. I could care less whether you are Black, yellow, white, red, male female. Smart companies are the same way. You don't succedd in the long run by abusing talented people. They go to your competition and take your work. YOu are in a bad situation at the current job not of your making. Finding a company that appreciates your talent and willingness to work hard is the right thing to do. Remember, while there will always be idiots and bigots, there are also a lot of good companies and people who do the right thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 49, City : Laurel, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

r.cooper
    I am mixed race,light skinned, identify as african american--my father had white father and black mother, mother, enrolled Native American. I have seen and heard the issue you set out above. I have been lucky not to have the direct experience in my own work group, while still having others not in my work area assume I got the job only because I am black. I have an MBA and I have found that usually a white male supervisor takes me in as a full colleague, might even mentor me and that connection --which has never been inappropriate--has sustained me when the issues of race and qualifications come up. I am an assistant director of my company, work 60 hr weeks and make the same salary as a marginal co-assist director. Hmm. I must say I make more than 90% of american women but I do not believe I could function marginally and work at my level. Get the MBA, and a mentor. Your good work will mean you will be successful.

User Detail :  

Name : r.cooper, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 62, City : seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

mtm
    Participant
    ... One more thing: If your name really is Honey, you may want to consider using your middle name or a nickname. Having your manager frequently say, 'How's the report coming, Honey?' probably doesn't help your situation.

User Detail :  

Name : mtm, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 44, City : northville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : geek, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

lonnie22569
    Participant
    are you being treated differently because youre black or because youre female? is the majority of coworkers black, indian, white, male, female, chinese? what kind of diversity exists in the office? in any case, all you can change is your attitude - or place. if you stay, you must be able to not seethe with resentment, because your co workers will pick up on it, and, justified or not, will start reciprocating! any experience is beneficial if you find the right angle. some people never learn how to let things roll off their backs and not take stuff personally; your employer would behave this way to anybody, its who they are. if you can do that now, it is a valuable skill to have - dont let others shape how you feel during most of the time you are awake! plus you are seeing the perfect example of how you will NOT behave when you are an employer. understand you may never get appreciation from your employer but you can still perform your job excellently in this atmosphere. if you dont want to take it, and that is perfectly legitimate - find another place. perhaps check if your feeling you are doing work 'beneath' your ability is showing and again, perhaps causing you co workers to resent your attitude?

User Detail :  

Name : lonnie22569, City : tel aviv, State : NA Country : Israel, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.