Racial divide at first job

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Honey
    I just started work with a company, and although I graduated with honors from high school and college, I was presumed stupid and in need of remedial training by just about everyone in the office. My company also just hired a Caucasian guy. He receives all the attention and training, though our backgrounds are similiar and I may even have an edge on him. I find that my work is very remedial - almost secretarial - and my supervisor treats me as if I'm an idiot. I feel as if I am the butt of office cruelty. My family always taught me if I worked hard and became educated, everything would work out. But they failed to prepare me for this horror. I could leave, but what example would I be setting? Martin Luther King Jr. didn't give up when the going got tough, and neither did all the others who gave up their lives and comfort so I could sit here and complain. I am pursuing a double MBA and I'm wondering if it will pay off. Any comments would be helpful.

User Detail :  

Name : Honey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail
    I'm surprised they didn't prepare you for this?! Being female probably doesn't help and (I'm sorry) if your real name is Honey, that's not doing you any favors either. I know it's unfair, but that is reality. Still, I can't imagine all companies are as bad as that, so I'd say look for something else. Yeah, you could fight it, but that would just harm you. Best of luck. Let us know what you do.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

James W.
    I'd have thought that would be better by now - I experienced it in the '60s. In a computer programming class in 1963, at an IBM facility, some of the whites thought a black person couldn't program computers until I aced the class and outperformed them. I had to excel to prove myself, and maybe so do you now. How else do you think you will get ahead? Go Sister.

User Detail :  

Name : James W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 66, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Computer Consultant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Melody
    Participant
    First, if you really think people are treating you with disdain or discriminating against you, I suggest you document everything. Each time your supervisor says something you think is condescending, each time you see the white guy being treated 'better' or with favoritism, etc., make a record of it. But be very careful that you aren't seeing things that aren't there. What makes you think you have an edge over the man they hired? You're only 23; does he have more experience or education? Just make sure you're not making mountains out of molehills, or no one will take you seriously when you do file a grievance or make a formal complaint.

Second, as a secretary, I resent the implication that secretarial work is menial or 'remedial,' as though what I do isn't as important as what my boss does simply because I don't rank right up there with him in the firm's hierarchy. You need to learn to see each job in the company as part of the whole picture, and each person's contribution as equally important to promoting what the company's goal is. Once you get your mind around the fact that the cleaning lady is a person whose contribution is needed as much as that of the CEO, you'll be well on your way to receiving the respect you think you deserve. Try to observe how everyone is treated - and how you treat everyone around you.

User Detail :  

Name : Melody, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Dorcas
    Participant
    I take a class in school titled 'Diversity in the Workplace,' and in the few weeks I have been attending, I have concluded that nobody can make me feel inferior without my consent. The fact that I'm Nigerian, a female and am dark-skinned doesn't mean anyone should make me feel belittled. Sure, Martin Luther King Jr. fought the battle, but racial profiling still exists. It is now left for y'all to pick up from where he stopped. Not through violence, but through not giving up and knowing that no matter how long it takes, your hard work will pay off. You have to show that you are smart, and since you've got age on your side, why worry? Though the 'glass ceiling' issue is there, you don't have to let that stop you from getting to the top. Others have done it, so why not you? If one person can make it, you don't have to think of the 50 others who have failed. Double MBA? You go girl!

User Detail :  

Name : Dorcas, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Nigerian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Maya
    Participant
    I don't need to tell you that racism is still alive and well in America. Not as pervasive as in years past, but it exists. The good news is that there are employers who are more business-minded (racism is really not good for business, and some in the business community have realized that it is good for their bottom line to hire and promote qualified people of all races). You can 'stand and fight' or discretely seek out another employer. If you have the academic qualifications that you say you have and you now have actual work experience, you should be able to do better with another company. Perhaps a competitor of your current employer? I have seen it happen.

User Detail :  

Name : Maya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 40s, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Ebony25537
    Participant
    Do not let anything or anyone stop you from getting your education. Hold on to this job until you get your degrees. Their opinion of you is not important; they are not your family or friends.

User Detail :  

Name : Ebony25537, Gender : F, Age : 39, City : Princeton, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Wayne C.
    Well, this type of obvious stereotyping and bigotry doesn't usually happen in the workplace these days. At least not to those in professional positions. Those who would do this are usually alot more subtle with it today. Many people think that racism in the workplace is long gone. Well, its not. I've experienced it recently, and I know others that have as well. Your MBA will be worth it, but just be aware that you have more pitfalls to avoid than those of other races. Always network and always be aware of new opportunities. There are ways to work through the challenges at a particular employer, but if these attitudes are part of the culture you'll need to get some experience and leave ASAP. You might have to leave without the accomplishments to put on your resume. You can contact me directly if you wish.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jessie
    Participant
    Hello, Honey, let nobody change your your mind or belief. Continue to strive and you will reap the fruits of your labor. Keep your eyes on the prize. Jessie

User Detail :  

Name : Jessie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 53, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Healthcare, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

carlaviii
    Participant
    I think your problem is not skin color, it's gender. Sadly, it's still easy to find places where women's intelligence and education are not appreciated. Stick with your double MBA! And when you graduate, dump this job for someplace that you will be appreciated.

User Detail :  

Name : carlaviii, City : College Park, State : MD Country : United States, 

Michael M.
    Participant
    It sounds like you seriously need to seek another place of employment, yours sounds very unsupportive and quite possibly bigoted. Also, pursue every educational opportunity you can. It doesn't have to 'pay off' to make it worth while. Michael

User Detail :  

Name : Michael M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Dos Palos, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominic
    Participant
    I don't think your problem is so much a racial one as it is a male to female one. While that is still discrimination you are concentrating to much on your color. I see it in the work place as well between men & women. My only advice is please don't let people bring you down and don't assume everything is based on the color of your skin becuase you tend to get bogged down and negative if you think like that. I know many people of color who simply refuse to recognize racial problems or to feel they are being discriminated against and for the most part they are not. I think it is their Positive attitude that wins people over. Good luck

User Detail :  

Name : Dominic, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Harleysville, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Busines owner, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
    Just a thought. Perhaps the schools you attended were not of as high a standard as other schools. If you attended predominantly black schools they may have short changed you as far as a quality education. Your honor award accomplishments may have only earned average grades relative to other schools. Where I live many public school diplomas are far inferior to private schools because of standard slippage (no matter what the race).

User Detail :  

Name : michael james arpino, City : middletown, State : DE Country : United States, 

Amy
    Participant
    It is because you are dually a minority within the workforce--black and female. Throughout history, 'science' has attempted to 'prove' that minorities are genetically inferior to the majority. This is especially true for blacks and women, and you would be amazed at the literature around the turn of the century. Unfortunately, although science today would never attempt to prove these obvious misconceptions, they are still present within the collective consciousness. It's sad, but it seems that you would have to be four times as good as a white man to be treated equally (twice for being a woman and twice for being black). Fortunately, as our visibility (and that of all varieties of minorities) increases, and as it becomes obvious that we are just as competent as they are, things will slowly change, just as they have been for the last century. So keep fighting, and take your complaints to the board, the president, whoever you can. Most companies have systems to report discrimination, as well as policies to prevent discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, and sometimes even sexual orientation.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : Indianapolis/Bloomington, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Student and Restaraunt manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Clare
    It's probably not the race, it's the gender, Honey (which somehow seems sexist all by itself.) And if that really is your name, it probably doesn't help. Young pretty and female are, sadly, still not equated with smart, no matter what the educational level. And when you combine that with your race, you'll probably always have to be twice as good to get half the credit, but you can do it. Sticking with it is the way to fight. It was that way for me 30 years ago, and though many people think it has changed, it hasn't.(Women still make only about 70% of what men make). It's just gone more underground. If the job is offering you something in terms of long term learning or experience, then firmly and politely stick to your guns and stay there until you have what you need from it, then move on. You're still learning; you don't need to fight the battles singlehandedly--I have fought some (in court) and while it was hard on me, I hoped it would help those who came after me. Respect yourself, do your best, get your degrees and don't settle for crap and do what YOU need to do. Do you have a written job description that defines your duties? You should. If this job doesn't offer you anything but pain, move on as soon as you can. But there are lots of reasons people give you crap in the working world, so don't think of this as a 'horror'--it's just part of the real world.

User Detail :  

Name : Clare, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : No religion, just beliefs, Age : 55, City : Charlottesville, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : writer/editor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.