Racial divide at first job

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Wal
    Try looking at yourself from your employer's perspective. How many 'credibility maintenance miracles' have you performed? There are two ways to go here: 1. You have not demonstrated your self judged superiority. 2. You really are just plain dumb. As an employer I only discriminate on performance, not gender or race. I have sacked plenty of white underperformers and promoted non whites and vice versa. Stop moaning and start working! As for your MBA, if you really want one, got to the rest room and tear one of the conveniently provided roll therein. Results, attitude and loyalty count for more than qualifications. If you have a problem talk to your boss, and if that dosn't work, talk to their boss!

User Detail :  

Name : Wal, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : honest, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 43, City : Phnom Penh, State : NA Country : Cambodia, Occupation : Company Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gal
    Honey, you failed to mention that you are female, your height, your weight, preference in dress styles. Many people can't handle gender differences. If you are under 5'5', you will be judged. If you are over 110 lbs, you will be judged. If you dress in short skirts, bright colors, as a man; you will be judged. Even hair color makes a difference. Work hard, and get your degree and move on to a more deserving work place. Good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Gal, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 53, City : Jasper, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : police admin., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Very good question - your young so I will fill you in. Getting another job is your first priority where you will be accepted. I would venture a company where it has females of any color in management so you can garner their support. Secondly, remember this - life is about expectations and people have them - get used to it. You can either cry or step up to the plate and beat the odds. Analogy - expectations are like dating which I did a lot of when I was in my 20 to 30's. Everytime I went out on a date the woman had all these expectations (The so called Pygmallion effect) If people perceive you a certain way and it seems they have done so to you it's hard to break them out of that mold. I especially find this hard living in Colorado in a mid-western atmosphere where people are generally mistrusting and some if not most have only High School educations (Just my opinion - there are exceptions)- which to me indicates a closed mind and perceived expectations because it's the easy if not lazy thinker's way to order their world. Put another way people have a tendency to label you and put in a neat little box called the new black girl and she can't be all that smart but the white boy is because that's what we're perceived to be. THE BALL'S IN YOUR COURT - WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ?

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Parker, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Information Technology, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rick
    In my 15 yrs of business I have hired, trained, and assessed many. All people are different regardless of race or gender, and have varying degrees of skill. Even with the same education level. There could be several reason for your treatment. He/She may in fact be prejudice, if they are you will not change them. Or, because they are a different race or gender they do not give you equal treatment because they are not comfortable with someone they do not relate with (which is no excuse). Or perhaps they are just giving you work they know you will passively accept. Your superviser should recognize your skills and should make opportunities available to you to further your career. Discuss with them getting new opportunites and more responsibility. If nothing improves you should leave (be sure to have another job lined up). Dont waist your time at a dead end. Ignorant managers can hold you back. Dont settle for it. There are better jobs out there where racism doesnt exist. Personally I like a diverse work group - more variety of food at the Christmas pot luck :)

User Detail :  

Name : Rick, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Obviously, in your initial post, you didn't have alot of space to give every tiny little detail. Much has already been touched on, and I thought I may be able to give just one piece of insight, even though I'm ignorant of whether it is an issue or not. I personally try to believe that we as a society are beyond blatant racism, as it seems you are describing. When something appears that way, I'll try to look for another obvious reason which may be clouded by personal perception, and the way you have been taught by your parents and peers to view the world around you. Here's what I've observed in years of various office work, followed by years of talking to hundreds of people a month as a police officer. I often find myself talking to a fantastically intelligent person who simply sounds like a blithering idiot due to their speech. I used to be one of those people- percieved by others as stupider than I am, because I spoke with a seemingly unintelligent accent and mannerisms. Unfortunately, I see this far too often in black people, and in others who subscribe to the rap/hip-hop/etc scene. White guys who sound like southern, swamp-dweller, hilljacks also put out the 'dumb' vibe, when they could be nuclear engineers, for all we know. Just take a look at how you talk, and how you sound to other people- especially those who grew up in a different culture. Do you sound like someone on Friends, or more like Russell Simmons' Def Jam? That might be your biggest stumbling block, and you may never see it.

User Detail :  

Name : Vinnie Smith, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Police Officer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shauna-Carr
    Participant
    I agree that documenting would be a good step, as it might help to clarify for yourself what is happening. However, I would like to point out that race is not the only bias when it comes to equal treament. Being treated unequally could be because you are a woman, or because you are an attractive woman (which I seem to have noticed are often thought to be idiots), or even an unattractive woman. It could be due to your age, to an accent, to the way you dress, to the region you come from, to your religion. and it could very easily be to your race as well. I'm just saying that race is simply one among a myriad of things that people have preconceived ideas about. Don't know whether that's a positive or a negative, though!

User Detail :  

Name : Shauna-Carr, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carlton J. Cleland
    Participant
    Dear 'Honey' As a caucasian male I have absolutely no grounds to speak to you about race / discrimination etc. But, what I can explain to you is this. I am also a minority at my workplace. I am 10 years younger than any other individual performing the same duties at my place of employment. First impressions mean a lot. If you carry yourself as one who needs a little bit more training, confidence, etc. you will be treated as such. However, if you walk with your head held high, and present yourself as the young, intelligent professional that you are, you will also be treated as such. On a side note, if you choose your verbage like you choose your personal e-mail address, there is a bigger issue at hand. Can you really blame people for not taking you serious when your e-mail address is 'HONEYis5268@yahoo.com' I think there is more to this issue than what we are reading. Good luck Honey!

User Detail :  

Name : Carlton J. Cleland, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Overland Park, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Mercedes Benz Sales Rep., Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wendy
    Second, as a secretary, I resent the implication that secretarial work is menial or 'remedial,' as though what I do isn't as important as what my boss does simply because I don't rank right up there with him in the firm's hierarchy. You need to learn to see each job in the company as part of the whole picture, and each person's contribution as equally important to promoting what the company's goal is. Once you get your mind around the fact that the cleaning lady is a person whose contribution is needed as much as that of the CEO, you'll be well on your way to receiving the respect you think you deserve. Try to observe how everyone is treated - and how you treat everyone around you. POSTED 10/10/2004 I'll be damned if I ever SETTLE for being a cleaning woman when I have the potential to be the president. That is RIDICULOUS and INSULTING. If you are happy being the secretary thats good for you- I;m not going to get my PHD in order to become a secretary or janitor. The truth is minorities and women are so often looked upon as incapable whether these actions are intentional or unintentional, as far as I'm concerned it's all BS- dont tell my Sister- My Sister over there working hard to succeed in this prejudiced world to be careful to not SEE THINGS THAT AREN'T REALLY THERE. becasue if we start assuming that nothing is a matter of race - we will become doormats all over again.. nothing more than that damned eternally smiling black face- Yessa Massa...I'll file those papers while (white male equal) begins work on an important project for the company... Umm noo... that scenario has been played out too many times dont becoem a victim- stick it out and fight but fight smart, state your concern. But always have a backup lined up....

User Detail :  

Name : Wendy, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Chris32157
    Participant
    You could document everything like someone else said, but you are just starting out on your career, and a discrimination suit might have positive short term effects, but negative long term effects for your career. Life isn't like 'Law & Order', and you only hear about the successful lawsuits. I'd give it some serious thought. You can spin everything else. The menial work means you don't have to put a lot of thought into it and can keep your wits and energies for personal goals. The negative attitudes free you from having to socialize with any of them. You are better off finishing your degrees, and moving on, because you probably won't be able to change their attitudes for the better through confrontation.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32157, City : Kemah, State : TX Country : United States, 

JW
    Participant
    You received enough 'you go girl' remarks, whith which I agree whole heartedly. But listen to this old man ... Get out of that company. They don't deserve you and they have some type of corporate culture that you probably won't change. I experienced this several years ago when I was a senior executive and world-renowned expert in my field of science. I was recruited by a seemingly normal big company to take over a division. The first executive staff meeting resulted in me being rudely told how stupid I was, followed by assignments from my boss that were at best, clerical level. I fought them for 3 years. Nothing changed. I wasted 3 years of my life. Look at the news and business magazines that feature The Top 10 Companies For Employee Satisfaction, or surveys like that. Send your resume to those guys -- soon.

User Detail :  

Name : JW, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 55, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gina21688
    Participant
    I find it interesting that most of the responses and it appears your initial assessment is one of race. I remember my first job. My youth and inexperience automatically put me low on the company food chain regardless of my title. I have also experienced many work enviroments in which males were given higher status at first glance. However, both situations always corrected themselves within a few months of hard work and proving myself. If after, say a year, you are still miserable go ahead and leave. Life is too short to hate your work enviroment.

User Detail :  

Name : Gina21688, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

typeoneg
    You say you just started work with this company. It is typical that new hires need to be trained in doing things in a companies 'ways' if you buck their system they will feel maybe they can't trust you as much as someone working within their system. There are a lot of reasons for why things are a certian way in any organization don't assume your color has anything to do with it. If your work stands out you will be noticed if it doesn't you wouldn't. Do you think Condi Rice's work stood out? I am willing to bet it did. FYI most white people are much less racial than you have been led to believe. To us results are important. Produce results. Once you opinion is trusted you might be able to change things that don't appear to make sence. By the time they trust you you may understand why things there are the way they are. A short story to illustrate the point. A women training her daughter to cook a roast cut the ends off the roast the daughter asked why. The women didn't know she was just trained that way by her mother. She asked her mother why she did it that way. She was stumped also she had always done it the way her mother showed her. She called her mother and asked why she always trimmed the roast that way. The elderly wome replied her roasting pan was to short for the typical roast. One last thing drop the racial/sexual lense you see the world through. Often people that spend a lot of time in school need to be real world trained hence unschooled and reschooled. I hope something here helps.

User Detail :  

Name : typeoneg, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 54, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : Cabinetmaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joe30625
    Participant
    Definitely document everything. If you ever get this case to court (which you should) and everything you said is true, you'll win. And it's not the money that should motivate you: what should motivate you is knowing you were right.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe30625, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, 

Markus N.
    Participant
    First, the other responders did not directly answer Honey's specific question. I see FIRST job in title. I see she 'perceives' she was presumed stupid (Honey states that almost everyone in the office felt this way), 'perceives' she is treated like an idiot and 'feels' as if she is the butt of jokes. It is an illusion to think hard work and effort always pay off; it doesn't. Second, I pick up some low self-esteem possibly making things worse and even leading to a self-imposed problem. If everything is exactly as Honey sees it, which I doubt, the company sees more potential in the white guy for logical reasons not apparent to Honey. IF Honey is truly as capable as she thinks she is, she needs to exude more confidence (get counseling if need be), walk tall and speak with a firm, clear voice accepting more responsibility to prove her mettle. Honey is showing her inexperience in the office/business environment and wilting at the challenge. Honey almost assuredly contributed to her situation and is the last one to grasp this. She and all of us must realize that perception is reality to the individual doing the looking. She needs to have good introspection and look within to discover why others perceive her the way they do and correct it, and/or understand whether she is mostly imagining this as a result of some initial insecurity. The business world of MBA's and the like is competitive, and right now she sounds overwhelmed in several ways, manifesting itself in self-destructive thought and action. I doubt it has anything to do with her being black. In fact, when a black person shines in the workplace, employers usually trip over themselves to take advantage of it and elevate them when possible. Lastly, I have known people with enough credentialing initials to circle their business card twice who were inept. Education alone means nothing. It's just the starting line. You still have to attach a human being to that business card, and that human must understand the pathways to succeed. Getting a degree and showing up at work with a smile is not enough, regardless of race. Get in the fight Honey, or accept your station in life.

User Detail :  

Name : Markus N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Dumb, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : More Zen, Age : 50, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Sharon-M
    Participant
    Hi Honey, There might several things you haven't considered yet... this might be more about gender differences than race. Some bosses still have problems with seeing female employees as other than secretaries. But remember, many secretaries wind up the right hand of the CEO, and promoted into department managers or project managers for their sound advice and hard work. Many secretaries are groomed for senior management if they are smart and I 've know quite a few who became CEOs and VPs. Do you proactively seek challenges or present ideas to your boss that enhance your company's product or service, or sales? Do your homework and research to find new/better ways to do what your company does, and/or what your competitor(s) are doing. Find yourself a mentor, who can advise you in the ways of corporate culture and how to advance your career. Work on your presentation skills, speaking skills, and work performance. Quit worrying about your ethnicity.... talent always shines through. You sound a bit sensitive about your race, and might need to work on your self-esteem. Those subtle messages we send out can sabotage our careers. Learn to be color-blind, compare yourself to your co-workers on the basis of performance. Lastly, even though you may view the company training as 'remedial'... the company obviously thought you were worth the investment. Thats a plus.

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon-M, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 57, City : San Mateo, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Career Counselor/former HR director, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.