Physical vs. intellectual labor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dot
    Participant
    Why do some cultures seem to value physical work over "white collar" jobs? I have heard laborers dismiss office people as though 8 hours of physical work is somehow harder than what most office workers have to put in. Most white collar workers I know are forced to work 60-80+ hour weeks with no overtime. They must come in on weekends and take phone calls at home at night. Most even have to work at home every night of the week. They are never off the clock, bosses call at all hours... Isn't this in fact harder work than doing your 8 hours then getting to clock off and go home?

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    you confuse two different issues. Physical v Intellectual and Management v Ditch Digger. The majority of office workers, or intellectual labor, don't fit your profile. Upper eschelon perhaps, but not "office people" in general. Generally, we cube-dwellers don't deal with the stress management does. We do our job and go home. So I'd have to agree that yes...manuel labor IS harder work than an office job.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.